This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Did you know that the past few weeks have marked National Hispanic Heritage Month? Yeah, me neither. I am a first-generation Hispanic college student, but up until this year I had never celebrated or even recognized National Hispanic Heritage Month and I can’t blame anyone else for not knowing about it. The truth is, National Hispanic Heritage Month hardly gets any media coverage, and many are unaware or don’t understand the history behind this time of celebration.

So here’s a quick history lesson- National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15th through October 15th. Its roots date back to 1968 and it celebrates the anniversary of independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico, Chile, and Belize also celebrate their independence days during this time. National Hispanic Heritage Month is meant to recognize and celebrate the contributions to our culture and society of more than 60 million Hispanic Americans. Hispanics are the largest minority group in the United States today, and they have helped this country prosper for generations. If all of this is true, then why do special times of recognition like National Hispanic Heritage Month still not get the media attention it deserves? 

The more I researched National Hispanic Heritage Month, the more I asked myself that question. I was shocked to see how few articles were written about it, this year in particular. I also felt that there was a lack of awareness even on social media. National Hispanic Heritage Month often receives criticism because, in an attempt to celebrate the Hispanic/Latinx community, corporations will often roll out offensive campaigns that use harmful stereotypes. This year’s biggest loser was Twitch. 

However, I’m not here to assign blame; but, I do think it’s time that we create space for Hispanic/Latinx voices to be heard and recognized during this month and beyond. It is well deserved, and here are a few Hispanics that have been killing it in 2020 (despite a pandemic lol): 

Jennifer Lopez

JLO, the queen herself, has been in the cutthroat entertainment industry for over 20 years. This year, she created a Super Bowl LIV Halftime Show that showed off some of the best performers the Hispanic/Latinx community has to offer. 

J-Balvin 

José Álvaro Osorio Balvín, aka J-Balvin, has completely revitalized the popular Spanish music genre, reggaeton. He is now often referred to as the “Prince of Reggaeton”, and is one of the best-selling Latin music artists worldwide. He recently made history by being nominated for 13 Latin Grammys (and I’m a fangirl)! 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Photo by Ståle Grut / NRKbeta distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, more commonly known by her initials AOC, made history when she became the youngest woman ever to serve in the United States Congress at 29. Since being elected in 2018, she has continued to make headlines by being a fierce leader. 

Shakira 

Shakira’s talents made her a household name and she is now one of the world’s best-selling music artists. She also killed it alongside JLO during the Super Bowl LIV Halftime Show. Not to mention, Shakira is more than just an artist. This year, she is on the Prize council for EarthShot Prize, a program that was designed by Prince William to inspire creative solutions to our planet’s environmental damage. We love a woman who cares.  

Our society has never been so open to and focused on creating inclusivity. Regardless, the Hispanic/Latinx community is often overlooked or misrepresented. We need to fight for media coverage and the accurate representation of Hispanics and other minorities. We need to continue to raise up the ideas and opinions of Hispanics and all people of color. Most importantly, we need to recognize and celebrate these individuals.  

Sources: 

https://www.state.gov/hispanic-heritage-month-2020/

https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/2020-10-02/hispanic-heritage-month-origin-history

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!