Entertainment

Did Colleen Hoover Succeed Once Again with “Reminders of Him”?

One of the things I’m looking forward to the most in 2022 is the release of new books. Yet the one I was most excited about was Colleen Hoover’s new book Reminders of Him. The book was set to release on January 18, 2022, and of course, I pre-ordered it. I am a huge fan of Colleen Hoover’s books, so I didn’t even read the back before buying it. But if you need a little convincing, here’s a quick synopsis. 

The story is about a woman named Kenna Rowan who moves back to her hometown after serving five years in prison with the hope of reconnecting with her four-year-old daughter, Diem. However, because Kenna doesn’t have custody of her, she needs to get the approval of the ones who do. Yet she knows that her chances of getting their permission are very slim. Knowing she can’t see her daughter on her first night back, she goes to a bar where she meets Ledger Ward, who has a connection to Diem. Despite a rocky first impression, the two continuously run into each other and begin forming a connection. Yet when things start getting more complicated, everything they’ve built is put on the line. With more and more to lose, the two have to decide if what they have is worth it. With stunning writing and memorable relationships among the characters, this story is an emotional rollercoaster that I adored. Still, please know that sensitive matters are discussed in the book, and I would recommend looking up the trigger warnings before readings this book to make sure it’s a good fit. 

Honestly, I was really worried that this book wouldn’t live up to everything said about it. Everything on Tiktok and Instagram said that this book was a total 5/5, and a small voice in the back of my mind said that maybe this one wouldn’t be as good. Not to mention, I happen to be very picky with new books and I have been disappointed with new books from authors that I love in the past. But never mind that! I think Colleen Hoover has absolutely done it again. 

This book made me go through so many emotions, and I could feel everything that all of the characters were feeling. Something that annoys me in books sometimes is that things happen without any explanation. For example, characters making dumb decisions that don’t make sense or things happening out of nowhere. But in this book, the characters’ actions and emotions had clear reasons, so I could understand their actions and feelings. I felt their happiness, frustration, and more. I also really loved the relationship between Kenna and Ledger. I thought they were a great match and had really funny moments together. The strength of their relationship withstood so many tests and they brought out the good in each other.

Yet the most impactful part of the story to me was Kenna’s story, as well as the mother-daughter bond between her and Diem. I cried so much throughout this book, and I was so moved by it. Though I wasn’t originally planning on getting this one the moment it came out, I’m so glad I decided to get it straight away.

All in all, there is no doubt in my mind that Colleen Hoover has succeeded once with Reminders of Him, and you should definitely check it out if you get the chance!

Maria Perdomo Barrios is an undergraduate freshman at the University of Connecticut. She is a political science major on the pre-law track. Maria was born in Bogota, Colombia, but has lived in the U.S. since she was nine years old. She enjoys spending time with her friends and family as well as reading and traveling.