Decorating on a Dime: A Collegiate’s Guide to Dorm Styled Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s autumn again, and you know what that means! Break out the cozy sweaters, put away the jean shorts, and get ready for one of the most enjoyable holidays of the year: Halloween. Now, if you’ve just started college like I have, you might not be quite sure as to how to handle Halloween. And even if you’re an old pro at this dorm life, it can’t hurt to pick up a couple new ideas. Halloween is the best holiday because it inspires creativity, and I hope to convey some of my favorite ideas to you.

My rules for decorating:

1. Start by deciding where you want to put things, before actually beginning. This will really save on time so that you don’t finish putting up your cobweb, only to realize you wanted to string the lights in that particular spot.

2. Discuss with your roommate/s (if you have any) what your theme will be. Make sure you both agree on what you want to do, so that one doesn’t feel ignored or even, in extreme cases, uncomfortable in her own room. This should be a joint project, something you can even bond over!

3. DIY is a great idea, and it definitely doesn’t have to be complicated. They’re also a great way to de-stress after a long day of studying and homework.

4. Experiment and figure out what you like/don’t like. You have at least 4 years to get it right, mistakes are just a part of the fun!

5. Try and keep it simple, even you might get annoyed after spending a whole month bending over avoiding different decorations. You do still need to keep your room livable.

Top 6 decoration ideas:

Spooky string lights (strung up along the walls)

I was able to find great yellow and orange colored lights for only 5 dollars at Lights for All Occasions, a great site for any sort of string lights. These are adorable, and when you turn off those bright lamps, really give off that mysterious vibe.

And if you really want to get into decorating, try buying circular lights and covering them with an off white burlap fabric, making sure to tie it over the circular lights; this way, you’ll have plenty of little ghosts seemingly floating along the edges of your room! Target has a great collection of circular paper lanterns that work perfectly. [pagebreak]

Simply Paper Lanterns

Maybe you love Halloween for the costumes and the good, clean fun, but you’re not so sure about the creatures that go bump in the night. That’s totally cool, you can still have lots of fun decorating in a way that’s comfortable! Try these paper lanterns that can be hung from the ceiling, the beds, or even the sides of your closet (if you have the room). They have all the fun (and let’s face it, adorableness) of fall, but none of the sometimes-threatening aspect. [pagebreak]

Personalized decal stickers

These are great because they’re inexpensive, yet can be placed almost anywhere that has a smooth surface, such as your mirror, refrigerator, or window. My roommate and I had so much fun creating our own personas through the customizable ghosts. And even better, these decal stickers were only 97 cents at Walmart! Feeling more traditional? You can also find stickers of vampires, pumpkins, skeletons, and witches for the same price. Getting creative and place them wherever you want! The fact that they come off cleanly after application makes this much more viable for us busy college women, who can’t always clean on demand.  [pagebreak]

Glitter pumpkins

While I love pumpkin picking (and carving) as much as the next girl, this isn’t always the best idea while living in a college dorm. The pumpkin gets old fast, or can even attract bugs after awhile. And ew! No one wants that. That’s why I would suggest trying these alternatives to real pumpkins. They’re cleaner, come in varying sizes and colors, plus they sparkle! These come in the colors depicted, as well as many others, from Walmart (sensing a pattern?). 

Feeling like you want to personalize these a bit more? Try this DIY glitter pumpkin craft! It can used for real or fake pumpkins and includes simple, inexpensive materials.  [pagebreak]

Paper cut-outs

Sort of a DIY, but as long as you have paper (preferably colored) and scissors, you’re good! These can be taped onto nearly anything, especially if you need a couple more decorations on your door. Simply grab a piece of paper, trace/draw whatever ghoulish creation and cut it out! Then you can color on it, maybe glue some glitter or ribbons, and let it hang. Not the best drawer? Feel free to print out some free stencils, which you can find via Google images. Pumpkin stencils work great as well. Some suggested images would be: pumpkins, skeletons, the moon, spiders, ghosts, or even spooky cats. This is a chance to really get into Halloween without breaking the bank. [pagebreak]

Cobwebs

Need I say more? Cobwebs make a great addition to any Halloween themed room. They can be strung up under beds (if lofted), or from the ceiling to the dresser. Walmart will give you plenty for only $4.44! To add to this ghostly effect, maybe try placing small, plastic spiders onto the middle of the cobweb. Or, even simpler, you can just let gravity slowly draw down the cobwebs, giving it a more flowing and translucent look. Try them both and see which works better! You never know! 

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!