Dear World, It’s Just My Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If I had a $1 for every time I heard “I thought you were mean when I first met you,” I’d be beating Bill Gates out for richest person in the world by a few billion dollars.  I wish I was kidding. The “wow you look terrifying” impression myself, and many others leave with people, has a lot to do with our resting bitch face (RBF). Just because we aren’t smiling and puking out rainbows (that Snapchat filter is terrifying by the way), doesn’t mean we’re hateful humans.  It’s literally just our face.

The one thing about RBF that really annoys me, and probably everyone else, is that people are always telling us to smile. I have heard countless people being told to smile more because it’ll “make them more attractive and approachable”. Listen buddy, thanks for the advice but no thanks. The greatest thing about having resting bitch face is the fact that you don’t have to deal with a bunch of meaningless conversations because people are too terrified to approach you. If being considered “unattractive” and “unapproachable” keeps the creeps away, then so be it.

You know what else resting bitch face is good for? It makes you feel like a total badass. People with RBF give off a “don’t mess with me or I’ll kick your ass” vibe and if that doesn’t make you feel like a strong, independent woman, then I’m not sure what will. The most beautiful thing about RBF is its element of surprise. The concept of not being what people expect you to be is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world. While some people with RBF also have the personality to match, most of us are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. Please stop judging us by appearance.

So, to all my fellow resting bitch faced ladies, go out and continue to be a badass. Don’t let those nice faced people bring you down because you aren’t spitting out rainbows and butterflies 24/7. 

Cover Image Source