Deals You Need As a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As college students, we all need a win sometimes. Treating ourselves to new clothes or a good meal once in a while won’t hurt! There is no time for gatekeeping, so let me share with you some of my tricks to save money while being a college student.

Music

While studying or walking around campus, my headphones are constantly plugged into my ears. Whether I’m listening to music, a podcast, or on Facetime with a friend, headphones never fail to be helpful. If you are an Apple Music lister, Apple is giving away free wireless Beats to new student subscribers. In addition, being a college student lowers the monthly rate from $9.99 to $5.99. This is a major saving and definitely something that you should take advantage of.

On the other hand, I understand that not everyone is an Apple Music listener. I’m a Spotify listener myself. Prior to college, I had the free Spotify version that spits out advertisements after every song. After I learned that the monthly subscription for college users was $4.99 rather than $9.99 I got a Spotify premium. Included with Spotify premium, I also got the streaming service Hulu. Now that I am away at college and no longer at home, my family continues to use my Hulu account. Not only was this deal a win for me but it serves as entertainment for my family as well.

Unidays

Another way I find deals is through the app UniDays. I found out about this app while on campus here at UConn. The app verifies that you are a college student with your email address and then you have access to hundreds of discounts. UniDays has various categories such as fashion, technology, food/drink, etc. that you can look into. Popular brands such as Dr. Martens and Pacsun are featured on the app. There is even a discount code for $20 off your first Uber eats experience. When making a purchase, I check UniDays for any discount codes before buying the item.

Starbucks

The final deal I have to share with you is for Starbucks. Every college campus is complete with at least one Starbucks. I’m sure most college students have the Starbucks app (if you don’t have it, you definitely should get it) that gives you points or stars that give you a free coffee/tea/bakery item or handcrafted drink depending on how many stars you have.

If you drink a lot of Starbucks, you should invest in a reusable cup. Not only is this good for the environment, but it also saves you 10 cents per transaction. Although some fancy Starbucks cups cost more than 10 cents, some reusable plastic cups are only $2.00. Keep an eye out for when Starbucks gives out cups for free. I received a free hot cup last year at Starbucks but never thought to bring it back to get a drink in. While a small 10 cents is not a lot, it can add up on top of the points. Depending on the Starbucks location, you can also earn 25 stars if you bring in a reusable cup. 

Starbucks is a guilty pleasure that should not cost us a fortune. Comforting ourselves with a drink, a small shopping spree, or some good music can be relaxing and even therapeutic, in my opinion. I figure if I’m going to spend money on something anyway, why not try to find a discount? I hope my tips and tricks have helped you to find quick and easy ways to save your money as a college student.

Emily is the Facebook Chair of Her Campus UConn. Emily is a junior at the University of Connecticut, majoring in Communication. She enjoys writing for entertainment about fashion and lifestyle. Additionally, she loves to give advice on topics such as career and self-love. Emily has had multiple internships related to marketing and social media. She has interned for a vegan pizza company, a NYC fashion show, and her latest internship at LKPR where she dove into public relations related to toy companies. When Emily is not writing articles she might be listening to the Lumineers, grabbing a pumpkin cream cold brew, or thrifting.