Dealing with Going Back Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Going home for winter break can be great, finals are over, the holidays are coming up and there’s no homework!  However moving back home for the month can also have repercussions; the kind that have to do with no longer being an independent adult anymore but rather dealing with having parents so close to you again.  Here are a few things us college students will have to readjust to this holiday season.

One of the hardest parts of moving back home is having to answer to someone again and not being on your own schedule.  No longer can you just leave for the gym, head over to a friends house, or go out to eat without letting anyone know.  Apparently parents want to be asked for permission even though we’ve been living on our own for so long now.  We have to ask to take the car, tell them when we’re going to be back and where we’re going.  This can be a real pain when at most all we do at school is shoot a text to friends that we’re still alive.

Another readjustment that has to be made is getting used to having food be not-so-instantaneous.  Normally, we just head over to the dining hall and dinner is served in a matter of seconds.  However, with being back we now have to prepare food on our own for every meal except for those our parents thankfully put together.  This is a burden we haven’t been used to for a while and can get pretty annoying after a while. 

Next up is having to put up a much more mature front than we’re used to.  This means minimal inappropriate jokes and much less swearing.  There’s nothing worse than coming home and dealing with the repercussions of accidentally dropping the f-bomb in front of your mom.  For some reason they also like it much quieter than we’re used to.  Apparently blasting your music in the shower isn’t exactly a thing anymore when you’re back in the homeland.

Unfortunately, younger siblings also come back into play when we return.  They need rides, practice their instruments when you’re watching Netflix and constantly bicker.  It is difficult to readjust to their immaturity (which yes is much worse than yours) and overall poor life choices like trying to swear in front of your mom without her hearing or thinking they can stay up past their bedtime when they have the same fight with your mom every night.  Of course we’ve missed them, just not certain parts of them.

In the end we all love going home, but some parts of it will have us counting the days until we head back to school.  Stay tough collegiettes and know the ramen-filled, community laundry days are right around the corner!