This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With our passionate school spirit, multiple NCAA champion sports teams, nationally-renowned academics and clubs for literally anything you could be interested in, I’m sure you’ve discovered that UConn has a place for everyone.  But if you’re still having trouble adjusting or can’t quite figure out how to do this whole “college thing,” here are some extra tips for you.  Or rather, here is a list of things that you should avoid doing at all costs.

I asked other UConn students for what they believe to be the worst mistakes you can make at UConn and this is what they had to say.  Without further ado, here are the Deadly Sins of UConn:

Wearing a lanyard with your ID on it around your neck

Walking on the seal outside of Homer Babbidge Library

Taking an elevator up one story

Stealing someone’s cups at Nickel

Cutting the line at Nickel

Eating nasty-smelling food in class and stinking up the entire room

Not moving your backpack for people getting on the bus at crowded stops

Not respecting the bus wait-line hierarchy (easy way to remember this: the people who get there first get on first)

Saying you’re not that big of a basketball fan… or actually, saying anything negative about UConn basketball

Wearing only socks in dorm bathrooms

Taking up the entire sidewalk with your friends AND walking slow

Taking someone else’s unofficial yet official seat in lecture

Selling your sports tickets for more than face value

Spelling Gampel as “Gample”

Rooting for Syracuse

Using the rolling chairs in the library to race your friends

Running over a UConn squirrel

Not getting excited over seeing Jonathan (the real dog or the mascot)

Take this advice, collegiettes and your next semester will be a breeze.  (You’re welcome.)

Cover Image Source

Amanda is a senior Journalism and Communication double-major with a minor in English. Aside from writing, she loves reading, spending time with family and friends, and making videos. If you can’t find her, she’s probably at the beach. Someday, she hopes to be a director and writer for TV/Film and spend all of her free time traveling. But for now, you can read her articles on Her Campus UConn.