Wellness > Mental Health

Danish Curated Coziness & Other Ways to Beat the Wintertime Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Fall is the best. It’s that magical time when the weather cools down and suddenly everything is pumpkin spice-flavored. My fall ritual begins with a viewing of Gilmore Girls, a loving excavation of my most favorite sweaters, and a good, long look at how I’m going to protect my mental health. Fall has an annoying tendency of turning into winter, and I know I’m not the only one who has to brace myself for that transition. A few years ago I decided to take matters into my own hands and consciously try to make this transition into the colder months easier on my brain. I think I’ve got it down to a science. Here are my methods.

Hygge: The danish Art of coziness

I’ve tried a lot of things to make the colder months bearable, so it’s no wonder that in my (semi-desperate) search for solutions, I encountered the Danish art of Hygge. Hygge pronounced “hooga” was added to the dictionary around 2007, and is loosely defined as a cozy mood, with an emphasis on companionship and warmth.

Let’s be real for a second— the self care industry is projected to be worth $13 billion by 2026. A lot of people are trying to sell us pre-packaged happiness. The Danes experience dreary weather for much of their year, so the practice of Hygge is about creating that warm and fuzzy feeling without needing to fill your shopping cart. Here’s how:

1. Spruce up your space with soft blankets, pillows, and dimmer lighting.
  2. Put on your coziest pajamas and do that face mask your aunt gave you for Christmas.
  3. Invite some loved ones over or call a friend you really miss. The key here is quality time!
  4. Unplug the electronics and enjoy the little things that bring you joy.

Above all, Hygge is about appreciating the small joys in life.

feed your brain

Cold weather is tough on our bodies, and we need some extra nutritional support to stay healthy. Vitamin D is only one of many wintertime boost-able nutrients.

The hero of our wintertime story? Fatty fish. Salmon contains brain-loving nutrients that support our complex brain functions. In a dorm without a stove? No problem! Make a charcuterie board with some nuts, seeds, meats, and cheeses to bring to your Hygge hangout. Among other nutrients, these foods provide some of the vitamin B12 and Iron that we may miss out on.

Do you feel hungrier in the winter? You’re not alone. Our bodies need more fuel to keep ourselves warm, and a potential decrease in serotonin can lead us toward carbohydrate-rich foods that keep us feeling nourished. Feed your soul! Now’s the time for soups, stews and other nutritious comfort foods. Yum!

move your body, love your vessel

Diet culture is another billion dollar-industry that tries to tell you that what you’ve got is not enough, and I’m ready (and I hope you are too) to tune out that noise. Exercise (and anything, really) takes on a whole new tone when you engage in it with loving intentions.

Changes in your body are completely normal and a beautiful reminder of our humanity— nothing more, and nothing less. It’s normal to look different season by season, and day by day!

There are amazing benefits to regular exercise like decreased anxiety, increased happy hormones, and higher self-confidence! Here are some ways to move your body.

1. Yoga: Try Yin Yoga for a stress-free moving meditation.
  2. Walk and Talk: This one is a certified classic. Phone a friend, bundle up, and celebrate the gift of gab as you take a nice stroll.
  3. Dance fitness: This is a great option for a higher intensity cardio workout to get those endorphins pumping.
  4. Weight training: Start small and work your way up!

If you want to take it to the next level here’s a guide to different exercises you can do at different points in your menstrual cycle! Consistency is key with exercise and just 30 minutes three days a week can do wonders for your mental health.

Chase the sun! (and the moon,too)

Much of our “wintertime blues” is linked to us missing out on time in the sun. Our circadian rhythm is our body’s internal clock, and it operates mostly on cues from light and darkness. When we miss out on sunlight in the winter, we can sometimes feel sleepy during the day and wide-awake at night. Small changes to your routine can help regulate your rhythm and keep you feeling more rested.

1. Open all windows when you first wake up and drink in the sunlight. I’m known to stand outside my house in my robe and slippers but this is optional.
  2. Sit by a window while working or at school.
  3. Try a light box to stimulate sunlight if you don’t have access to the real deal!

Sleep is crucial for mental health. It’s also probably the most frustrating thing to try and chase. Try not to put too much pressure on perfecting sleep and instead think of it as making your nights as cozy as you can— the sleep will follow. Try these:

1. Sleep around the same time every night. I say “around” because I’m a senior in college. I mean around.
  2. Clear your space of sleep disruptors. Blue light is a big sleep disruptor, and confuses your circadian rhythm.
  3. Pick your battles! College and your twenties are full of late-night adventures that can turn into priceless memories. They’re also full of 9am midterms. Be discerning.

The bottom line

The colder months can be tough, but they can also be a great time to slow down and take time to appreciate the little things in life. These guidelines may not solve your wintertime blues, but they can certainly help. If I can stress one thing it’d be to lean on your loved ones. We all get by with a little help from our friends.

This article does not provide professional medical advice. If you’re experiencing serious mental health issues this fall/winter please reach out to a professional.

If you or someone you know is in crisis, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Iris Maloney

U Conn '23

Iris is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Political Science. She loves coffee, heart-to-hearts, and staying up late.