Wellness

Happier Hormones: Exercising in Tune With Your Monthly Cycle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Do you ever walk into the gym or turn on your favorite YouTube workout, but you’re on your period and you are really just not feeling it AT ALL? As a fellow gym junkie here, same! I have gone months doing intensive strength training combined with HIIT workouts, and I actually lost my period for three months (and girl I was definitely not pregnant). Luckily, I switched up my gym routine to better support my cycle and hormones. Here is how you can do the same!

Now, who am I to tell you all about your hormones? As a senior nursing student, I want to help share my knowledge on women’s health, especially my more holistic tips and tricks! I also need to mention that our lovely phases may not be the same sister-to-sister, which is completely okay. Or maybe you skip a period every couple of months, whatever the case may be… it is okay. Our bodies are unique, sensitive, and amazing! I am hoping this workout guide for your cycle can help with getting your cycle back to YOUR normal or maybe you’ve been looking for a fun new workout routine! Now that that’s clear, let’s talk about the four phases of our cycle.

FIRST PHASE: MENSTRUATION

Menstruation begins your cycle! Therefore, the first day of the period is the first day of menstruation. This phase lasts approximately 2-7 days. During these days your body is shedding your inner lining. This elimination process causes low levels of iron and magnesium. Estrogen and progesterone levels will also drop to their lowest levels. Lower back pain, fatigue, etc. are common symptoms during this phase. To support these changes, gentle movement is the way to go, such as going for a walk or some gentle yoga.

SECOND PHASE: FOLLICULAR

The follicular phase of our cycle (my personal favorite) is the phase right after your menstruation and lasts until you ovulate around day 14. During this phase, special sacs called follicles house one lucky egg of yours. Due to these biological processes, estrogen and progesterone levels start to rise and FINALLY you may start feeling like you again! Women in this phase usually have much higher energy levels. This is the perfect time to start incorporating more strenuous workouts such as HIIT, strength training, or a long hike!

THIRD PHASE: OVULATION

Ovulation only lasts 1-2 days and it is more so of a transition period between the follicular and luteal phases. However, as most of us know this is the phase where you are MOST fertile (gentle reminder to use protection)! An egg that was incubated by your follicles is finally released on its journey through the fallopian tubes! During this phase, it is totally acceptable to strength train or do your favorite form of cardio if you are feeling up to it. However, during your ovulation period, you may be feeling more social, so a group fitness class may be a really great option!

FOURTH PHASE: LUTEAL PHASE

Last but not least, the luteal phase! This is the phase right before your period. For me, this is where I start feeling a little more irritable, my breasts get sore, or I may get some acne (classic PMS symptoms). During this phase, your hormone levels are at their HIGHEST which is what causes all these changes. Now if strength training is your thing, less weight and high reps may feel better! For cardio during your luteal phase, long hikes, jogs, walks, and bike rides are all recommended. Pilates is one of my favorite exercises during this phase!

CYCLE FRIENDLY WORKOUT GUIDE

Menstruation: Alternate days with walking (treadmill, elliptical, outside), gentle yoga, and rest days. 

Follicular Phase: Alternate days with strength training for both upper and lower body on different days (start with bodyweight for beginners) and/or HIIT, running.

Ovulation: leave these days to whatever you are feeling, make it fun! Maybe take a UConn Rec class!

Luteal Phase: Alternate days with high-repetition/low weight strength training and/or pilates, incline walking, hiking, jogging, cycling.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY

Our hormones play a big role in how we may be feeling week to week. BUT, life can affect how we feel day to day. So much more goes into why we may not want to work out, even during our “prime” follicular phase days. Exams, relationships, work, nights out, and more may affect your workout schedule. And that is okay! Listen to what your body needs. Going for a walk, doing pilates, yoga, and strength training will always be there after you take the time to prioritize your body’s needs. Have fun tuning your workouts with your cycle and decide for yourself whether your hormones are happier!

Katherine is a senior nursing student at the University of Connecticut. Katherine's passion is sharing her wisdom on all things holistic health. She loves cooking nutritious meals, moving her body, and focusing on self-love. However, Katherine also loves being creative with her fashion and social media content!