‘Dance Moms’ Would You Rather: Solo Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I’ve been a fan of Dance Moms ever since middle school. I don’t like the fighting, but I do like watching all the dancing, the talent, and the songs. Sometimes, I’d see a dance that another dancer would also be good at, and I’d wonder what their interpretation of the dance would be. So today, I decided to choose between two solos I’d like to see each dancer perform and explain my choice. Some of the solos are from off the show, in case you don’t recognize them. Let’s get ready to live it on the dance floor!

This Will Be Fun Dance Moms GIF by Lifetime Telly - Find & Share on GIPHY

Would You Rather See Chloe PERFORM…

Dance Moms Dancing GIF by Lifetime - Find & Share on GIPHY

A. “It’s Not My Fault”

B. “The Hostage”

I would rather see Chloe perform The Hostage!

I really love Chloe’s musical theater and think it’s underrated, so this one was tough. While I do think Chloe would absolutely slay “It’s Not My Fault” I have to say “The Hostage” because I wonder what her interpretation of this piece would have been, even though Maddie’s was phenomenal. Chloe was always very good at dark dances and wore her heart on her sleeve. I think Chloe in season four would have done this dance best because her dance style was starting to become more mature, and was getting more emotional. So I think season four Chloe would have nailed this.

Would you rather see paige perform…

A: “Demand Applause”

B: “Hands Up”

I would rather see Paige perform “Demand Applause”!

I think “Demand Applause” would be a good piece for Paige to perform. She definitely has the stage presence, sassiness, and energy required to own this piece but I think this piece would be good because it would challenge her, and she rarely got challenged during her time on the show. It has moves that she didn’t get that often in her solos (like turns) that would give her a good challenge.

Would You Rather See maddie perform…

Dance Moms Television Gif By RealitytvGIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “Blowing Red” 

B:  “T.K.O”

I would rather see Maddie perform “Blowing Red!”

Maddie has always been very good at playing characters, telling a story, and bringing the emotions of her dance to life whenever she dances. She definitely would have done a great job of bringing the story of this dance to life.

Would you rather see Mackenzie perform…

Bored Dance Moms GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

A:  “Airmail Special”

B: “Never Neverland”

I would rather see Mackenzie perform “Never Neverland!”

Mackenzie always got pigeonholed into childish acro-jazz solos when she was capable of so much more! I think it would challenge her to do more of a lyrical-type acro solo and to play a character too! It would be interesting to see how well she does at both of those. Plus, there is more advanced acro in this solo, and that would challenge her.

Would you rather see Nia perform…

Dance Moms GIF by Lifetime Telly - Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “Burn”

B: “D.O.A”

I would rather see Nia perform “D.O.A”!

Nia hardly ever got choreography that did her justice in my opinion! Plus her ability to play characters and tell a story is quite underrated! (Just check out “Getting Away With Murder” and you’ll see what I mean). She would get to show that all off in this solo!

Would you rather see brynn perform…

Dance Moms Omg GIF by Lifetime - Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “The Woods” 

B: “Big Shot”

I would rather see Brynn perform “Big Shot”!

Brynn’s musical theater is quite underrated and she never got to properly show it off on Dance Moms. Her musical theater is more subtle than Maddie’s or Chloe’s but has a nice sassiness to it and is still entertaining to watch. She would get to show off that subtle sassiness in “Big Shot” and also her lines. 

Would you rather see Asia perform…

A: “Rapunzel”

B: “Take That”

I would rather see Asia perform “Take That”!

“Take That” is a solo that I could see Asia nailing, due to how sassy it is. It would also be a good solo for her because the tumbling would be a good challenge.

Would you rather see Kendall perform…

Dance Moms GIF by Lifetime - Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “The Mannequin”

B: “Loose Cannon”

I would rather see Kendall perform “The Mannequin”!

Kendall is actually pretty good at dark contemporary dances (like “Voodoo Doll”) so I would love to see her take on this dance. I also think it would challenge her to play a character with her emotions, and with her isolations.

Would you rather see Brooke perform…

A: “False”

B: “Save Me”

I would rather see Brooke perform “Save Me”!

I think this would be a good solo for Brooke to perform because it has acro in it but it is more emotional and dark than the solos she usually performs so it would challenge her to emote.

Would you rather see Jojo perform…

Tonight Show Hair Flip GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “Burn” 

B: “Come to the Cabaret”

I would rather see Jojo perform “Come to the Cabaret”!

This one was really hard because Jojo had such a distinctive dance style and none of the other dancers had dances quite like hers, but I could totally see her slaying “Come to the Cabaret.” She was such a lively dancer, and “Come to the Cabaret” is a really lively dance. She definitely has the energy and stage presence to pull it off. Besides, I think she’d be good at musical theater. I don’t think she got many musical theater solos on the show as I recall.

Would you rather see Kalani perform…

- Find & Share on GIPHY

A: “The Strangler”

B: “Cold and Clear”

I would rather see Kalani perform “The Strangler”!

I could totally see Kalani nailing this dance. First of all, Kalani and Elliana have similar dance styles. Second of all, Kalani has great facial expressions and also has the stage presence to pull this off. Thirdly, she’d be able to show off her feet and lines!

So that’s my list! Do you agree or disagree with my choices? What would you have chosen?

Nicole is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying communication and gerontology. Her hobbies include playing the flute, biking, and drawing.