Career > Her20s

Cratejoy x College Life: The Gift-Giving Win!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Transitions, transitions, transitions. College can feel like a never-ending to-do list, and the lessons you learn in time management are monumental, especially for the doers and the I-can’t-say-no-to-plans people of the world like me. It can feel like there is little time to brainstorm thoughtful gifts for others, let alone have some nice alone time for ourselves too. That’s why, when I first heard about Cratejoy, an ever-expanding gift-boxing company that has a box for everything — and I mean EVERYTHING — I felt like I had more excitement for what the gift-giving season brought on. I was also thrilled to treat myself and delve into more of my passions! 

Thinking about Cratejoy-ing it for yourself? Don’t know what to get mom or do for a date night in? I got you. Here are some of the many fabulous boxes that Cratejoy has to offer for the I-don’t-know-what-to-get-them-excuse-users out there. I surely haven’t seen gifting the same ever since!

1. My college crate – monthly college care package

This box is great for getting a friend or your kiddo in college when you aren’t sure what to get them and want to help, or because you simply want to show that you care. I remember seeing one of my best friends freshman year of college get one of these care packages from her aunt, and seeing how many useful things came inside! This box comes with yummy name-brand foods and snacks (including vegan options), personal care items, fun little seasonal surprises, and dorm room essentials! This kind of thing goes a long way for us in college who are on strict budgets or time restraints when it comes to shopping. Speaking from experience as a student, this kind of gift is MUCH appreciated. 

2. Shark Week Survival Kit by Shark Week Survival Kit LLC

Cratejoy offers a few incredible, kind, and thoughtful period wellness boxes for the beautiful, busy women of the world — but this Shark Week Survival Kit is a great way to start. As with the My College Crate above, these are helpful in that not all college students can afford to go out and shop for the essentials super often without some help, and period care products are not always student-budget-friendly. This box is so helpful and kind in that it not only comes with healthy, organic tampons and pads, but it also comes in discreet packaging and candy to remind yourself or friends/people you love that you’re here for them and that you care. I’m so excited to order some of these for my younger cousin when she goes off to college next year so I can show her all the love and support during her transitional stages too. 

3. Escape the Crate: An Escape Room Adventure shipped straight to your door

Don’t know what to do when you’re snowed in with the roomies? Date night plans but don’t want to go out? This fun mystery box will leave you guessing and curious for more! I remember using this crate when I went to go visit my cousins in college in New Jersey before the pandemic, and we were so locked into this fun puzzle. It was such a worthwhile way to spend time with them during the holidays instead of watching the same movie we watch every year! Change it up for yourself with this fun mystery box. Cratejoy offers a few of these thrilling gift items!

4. Succulents Monthly by my garden box

I am especially excited to share this one! It’s always been trendy to be a plant lover, but with college, work, and having a social life all part of the mix, it can be time-consuming to take care of plants in your dorm room or apartment as it would be with having a dog or cat. That’s why with this super cute succulents monthly box, you can take care of your plant babies and worry less about working on your garden all the time to make sure it’s thriving. With succulents monthly, you can enjoy having beautiful succulents around you while watering YOUR plants first. Cratejoy has a few of these awesome plant subscription boxes to choose from! It could also be an awesome way to surprise mom when you don’t know what to get her for Mother’s Day, or just for any occasion at all!

5. The Chaptr book box and book club

Speaking of any occasion at all, there are TONS of boxes geared towards specific interests, such as crystals for the spiritual baddies, baking for the foodies, and books for the bookworms! Cratejoy is awesome for gift-giving because the company tailors boxes for any interests and needs, even when it comes to more affordable options! Under the “Gift” tab on their wonderful site, Cratejoy offers customers the opportunity to select boxes that are also under a certain price range–another reason why it’s great for college students like me! This Chaptr Book Box is offered on their site for as low as $18, but there are plenty of boxes for even less than that, too!

Whether it be a passion for spirituality, aromatherapy, local and international foods, sci-fi-themed items for dad, or something as random as a passion for mermaids (yes, Cratejoy has that), there really is a box for everything, and I’m so excited to keep browsing for fun future gift ideas with them. I’m already beaming with excitement for the Sealed With Irish Love Box I’m waiting on because I personally love Irish culture! Happy Cratejoy-ing!

P.S. Yes, there is a Harry Styles Subscription Box.

Clara is an undergraduate student at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, who is actively pursuing a degree in Communications. Clara has also worked as a designer for her school newspaper "The Daily Campus" and runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "Why Not?". In her free time, Clara enjoys meditation, music, podcasts, sushi, and trying new things. Her dream is to work for a brand she is truly passionate about.