A Collegiate’s Guide to the Ultimate Cozy Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Every now and then we need a chill night to ourselves or with our friends to get a break from the stress of college. We all know that a crazy night out drinking is sometimes a good way to forget the D- we just got on an assignment and let loose, but sometimes what we really need is to cuddle up, throw on a movie, and relax. Of course, this can be hard to do when living in a dorm or away from home, but here are some tips for making your room a cozy and homey oasis.

1. Lots of Blankets

You can’t have a cozy night without cozy blankets, and nothing’s better for relaxing than turning yourself into a human cocoon and cuddling into a warm soft spot on your bed. If you live in a dorm where you can’t control the temperature and it’s too hot, a nice, soft sheet will make you feel cozy without overheating. If it’s too cold, the more fuzzy blankets you have, the better.

2. Candles

Ok, so they might be on the list of restricted dorm items, but I won’t tell if you don’t (just don’t set anything on fire). Candles are the perfect way to make your room smell homey and provide a serene source of light. If you’re still worried about breaking the candle rule, you can try a flameless scented oil warmer to get the cozy smell you’re looking for. 

3. Movies/Books

A relaxing night in isn’t complete without some entertainment. Whether you’re a movie person or a book person, cuddling up under your blankets and watching your favorite movie or reading a new (or old) book will for sure take your mind off all of the stress of the real world. If you need a good laugh, watch or read a comedy, or, if you’ve been holding in tears of stress for weeks and need to let them out, Nicholas Sparks is your go to guy.

4. String Lights

Let’s face it, the fluorescent dorm room lighting is exactly the opposite of what you need to make yourself feel relaxed.  Some warm white or colored string lights will do the trick. Not only do they provide relaxing lighting, they are cute for decor and make every day feel like Christmas.

5. Snacks

What better way to release stress than with snacks that are totally bad for you, but taste so so good?  If you want to try to be healthy, oatmeal, dark chocolate, nuts, and garlic are all foods proven to reduce stress (that means pizza with extra garlic and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, right?).

6. A Comfy Outfit

To complete the cozy night in, you need the ultimate comfy outfit; a big sweater, your favorite pair of leggings, and fuzzy socks.

Now that you have all the supplies, you’re ready for the ultimate night in. So give yourself a break from school one of these nights and let yourself feel at home and relaxed.

Cover Image Source