Cheers to the Local Breweries of Connecticut!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Today is National Beer Day! Shout out to all the local breweries of Connecticut for making exceptionally tasteful craft beers that everyone can enjoy! For those who love a good cold beer every once in awhile, according to the Beer Advocate, here are the top 5 breweries in Connecticut that are a must to visit.

1. The Beer’d Brewing Company

If you are in the area, do swing by this laid-back place and order yourself a growler or two and chat it up with the locals to see what else makes this place so great.

Pros

• Located in Stonington, CT (near Mystic)
  • Resides in an old warehouse
  • Some call this a hidden gem
  • It’s pet friendly
  • Service is super friendly
  • On-the-house samplers of their five beers to start

Cons

• They don’t serve food (if that is a necessity for some)
  • Only open Fri-Sun (Mon-Thurs is their brewing days)

Fan Favorite Beer: Beer’d 8 Days A Week – this American Pale Ale has bursts of tropical fruity aromas and flavors that leave your mouth with wanting more!

2. OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)

If you like beer to be tamed and brewed with standard well behaved yeasts then go to other breweries. However, if you’re down for an adventure and want to explore your senses, go to OEC!

Pros

•  Located in Oxford, CT (exit 16 off route I-84 or approx. 40 min drive from Yale)
  • Sour beer fans
  • Hipster farmhouse feel
  • Very unique selection of beers
  • Reasonable prices
  • Impeccable flavor palates
  • Offer tours

Cons

• Location could be hard to find (literally in the middle of nowhere)
  • Not many food options in the surrounding area

Fan Favorite Beer: Tempus – an old world sour saison (aka pale ale). This beer gives you options of 5 types of blends to choose from. The blends can range from being tart and citrusy to a tad bit stronger with a peppery taste.

3. Outer Light Brewing Company

The founders of OLBC are inspired by life’s simple pleasures and want every experience you encounter to be heightened with one of their mastermind beers in your hand. If you are in the area or just passing by, do take a detour to this local joint, you won’t be disappointed!

Pros

• Located in Groton, CT (a 10 min drive from the Avery Point campus)
  • Atmosphere is laid-back and friendly
  • Staff is attentive and knowledgeable
  • Plenty of board games to stay and play
  • Open most days of the week

Cons

• Some people prefer to have food from their menu along with their ordered beers

Fan Favorite Beer: Libation Propaganda Coffee Stout – their award winner that literally smells like coffee beans and tastes like dark chocolate malts.

4. Willimantic Brewing Co.

You can’t go wrong with Willibrew, especially it being a brewery and pub all in one. The place is seated in the heart of Willimantic, close to ECSU and UConn, making it a definite must to visit on National Beer Day or any other day!

Pros

• Located in Willimantic, CT
  • Close to both UConn and ECSU
  • Great place to treat your parents
  • Food menu
  • Exceptionally knowledgeable staff
  • Offers a wide range of their own and craft beers
  • Offers tours
  • High ceilings
  • Huge space and dining area    

Cons

• A little pricey
  • Typical American pub food

Fan Favorite Beer: Willimantic Pushing the Envelope IPA – according to Beer Advocate its score is a 92… outstanding! A fruity sip with grapefruit notes and bits of brown sugar then a sweet finish. Pretty much it tastes like heaven.

5. Veracious Brewing Company

Last month this place was named one of the top 33 new breweries in the United States by the Beer Advocate Magazine. If you are in the Fairfield county region, it is highly encouraged you check out this famous joint.

Pros

• Located in Monroe, CT
  • Currently have 11 beers on tap, 8 wines, and cold brewed coffee
  • Offers tours
  • Fun atmosphere
  • English-style décor and ambience
  • Spot-on advice from staff
  • Kid-friendly 

Cons

• Do not serve food but have menus to places that will deliver
  • Only open on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays

Fan Favorite Beer: 29 Pews – an American IPA that is a citrus-based beer combined with other flavors to calm down some of the kick Citra can have on its own.             

Now raise a glass and cheers in celebration of National Beer Day!

Always, please drink responsibly! 

Cover Image Credit