Breanna Stewart: 3rd Time Women’s Basketball National Champion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Breanna StewartMajor: Individualized Major: “Sport in Society”Year: JuniorFrom: North Syracuse, NY

What makes life as an athlete at UConn so special? Life as an athlete at UCOnn is very special because it is a place that is considered to be the Basketball Capital of the World. We set the standard for basketball to other colleges and universities across the country. To constantly represent such a great university is an ultimate honor.

How does it feel to have won a national championship every year you have been at UConn? To have won 3 National Championships is a surreal, unbelievable feeling. I came here to become the best player I can be and tp win four National Championships. I like my chances so far.

What is it like to play for Geno Auriemma? To play for Coach Auriemma is the best decision that I could have made. He is a very intense coach who will get after you, but he is only pushing you because he knows how bad you want to succeed. He has had many great players come through his programs so he knows what it takes.What was your proudest moment this season? My proudest moment of the season was when our team won the National Championship. We had worked very hard this year and even though many people think it was easy, it was not.What are some goals you have set for yourself (and the team) for next season? I have not really thought about next season yet. I want to enjoy what we have accomplished this season and take some time off before I look to next season.

What will you miss most about this season? The thing that I will miss most about this season is the seniors. I have been fortunate to play with Kiah and Kaleena for three years and we have created a great friendship with one another. I know they are going to do great at the next level, but I will miss being around them on and off the court.