This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

After decades of rumors, fan casts, and disbelief, a film adaptation of Wicked the Musical is finally arriving on the silver screen. While the film’s first part isn’t scheduled to release until Nov. 27, 2024, we finally received our first look at the movie. The trailer, which premiered during the 2024 Super Bowl is only one minute long but full of incredible and thought-provoking visuals. 

Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Wicked - Find & Share on GIPHY

For some context, I consider myself a bit of a Wicked fanatic. I have seen the musical on Broadway twice and, at one point, had the entire soundtrack memorized. When director Jon M. Chu announced that Wicked would be split into two parts, I had mixed feelings. Since then, there have been leaked set-pictures, Wicked celebrated its 20th anniversary on Broadway, and the entire Ariana-Spongebob fiasco, which I touched upon in this podcast episode. With all of this information, I feel equipped to talk about this film now more than ever: let’s break down the trailer.

Dear Old Shiz

Arrive Ariana Grande GIF by Wicked - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shiz University is looking absolutely gorgeous. While it may have less of a dark academia feel than I’d like, I cannot deny that the fictional Ozian institute does instill some wonderful feelings of grandeur. However, I cannot help but notice some interesting changes made to our witch’s time in University. Most noteworthy, in my opinion, is that we see our protagonists presumably arriving at Shiz, with Elphaba on a bullet train and Galinda on a boat. While the existence of trains is interesting to begin with, (I’m thinking about poor Dorothy traveling all the way to the Emerald City on foot), I love this subtle enhancement of the show’s metaphors about race and class. While both girls stand out, Galinda in her pink, personalized boat, and Elphie in her green skin, it is Elphaba that is immediately ostracized upon arrival to Shiz. 

Snippets of Iconic Songs

Happy Ariana Grande GIF by Wicked - Find & Share on GIPHY

Throughout the trailer, we get to hear snippets of Cynthia Erivo’s rendition of “Defying Gravity.” Unsurprisingly, it sounds fantastic. However, there are specific shots from the trailer that give insight into what other songs viewers can expect from this film. A blink-and-you’ll miss it shot of Grande in a head-to-toe pink ensemble, gives a hint as to what the film’s “Popular” will look like. As “Popular” is another one of the show’s most iconic numbers, I predict it will be used a lot more as more marketing materials are released. We also see Elphaba in what looks to be the Ozdust Ballroom, confirming something I cannot wait to hear: a Jonathan Bailey version of “Dancing Through Life.” With a look at Michelle Yeoh’s Madame Morrible and Jeff Goldblum’s Wizard, I imagine we will also be hearing “The Wizard and I” and “One Short Day.” 

Tulips Galore

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

If you can’t stop staring at the beautiful tulip field that appears around the 30-second mark, you’re not alone. The gorgeous landscape and color palette practically scream The Wizard of Oz. What’s even cooler is that, according to The Daily Mail, these tulips were a practical effect, with around 21 acres being planted in Norfolk, England. 

Where is Doctor Dillamond?

Wicked fans will notice a lack of Doctor Dillamond in both the trailer and most conversations surrounding the film. While I am not the biggest fan of the Shiz professor, the character is undoubtedly one of the most important plot devices in the show. It has been confirmed that Doctor Dillamond will be in the film, however, he will be a CGI representation voiced by a female. However, his absence from the trailer has fans speculating that the goat will be played by someone special. The running theory seems to be Idina Menzel, Oz’s first-ever Elphaba. 

My Overall Feelings

Seeing this trailer had me super excited, but I definitely have some criticisms. Firstly, I simply want more of Jonathan Bailey because I am anxiously waiting to see his interpretation of Fiyero (and I love him very much). Additionally, something about the sets and general vibe of the film feels… empty? I find this to be a common problem in modern film, but this one hits hard as Wicked is a property that brings me a lot of nostalgia. Lastly, I am still not a fan of the adaptation being split into two films. While I have come to understand why this decision was made, I cannot imagine seeing the magic that is “Defying Gravity,” and then having to walk out of the theater and feeling satisfied with the story arc. However, I am intrigued to see how the film is paced and how everything translates to screen.

Black Hat Film GIF by Wicked - Find & Share on GIPHY

With all of these fun stills, easter eggs, and theories emerging from the first trailer’s release, I have a lot of hope that both of the Wicked films are going to be an enjoyable version of one of my favorite pieces of theatre. 

Emily is an Associate Editor for Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying journalism and communication. Emily enjoys writing about pop culture, lifestyle, film, and TV. Emily is a Copy Editor for The Daily Campus and the Social Media Chair for UConn Creative Writing Club. She also co-hosts and edits a pop culture podcast called ‘Girl Talk.’ Passionate about all things creative, Emily is often writing poetry, reading a book, or trying to teach herself a new skill. In her spare time, you can find Emily sipping on a coffee, crafting a new Spotify playlist, or obsessing over her dog.