This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

No matter how much we don’t want to accept it, the torturous cold weather that plagues Storrs each year is coming.  Leaving the dorm will soon be only for necessary trips to the dining hall and treks to class.  And, though it seems unlikely, you will eventually run out of shows to binge watch on Netflix.  When you reach that sad point, here are a few must-reads for the upcoming chilly fall and winter seasons. 

New Release:

I know most of us were forced to read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school or middle school, but the book has not stopped resonating with us today.  For those of us that actually enjoyed the book, Harper Lee is at it again with a sequel to the novel called Go Set a Watchman.  This was recently published and tells the tale of Scout Finch years later.  This novel was originally published before To Kill a Mockingbird was even written and was newly discovered and published. 

For us romantics out there:

For those sappy Nicholas Sparks fans, See Me is newly published as well.  It tells the story of two people of very different backgrounds meeting and having to deal with their pasts to be together.  Cheesy? Yes, but still a great read for the hopeless romantic in all of us. 

If I stay, which is also a popular new movie, by Gayle Forman is a classic love story of a girl who suffered a traumatic car accident and finds herself in a coma.  She has an “out of body” experience and must decide to stay or go.  Bring the tissues ladies.

For anyone:

Unbroken.  Honestly, I don’t think I need to say more, but it tells the story of the survival of a man through World War II.  It describes his amazing journey and his bravery and life after living through some horrific times.  Laura Hillenbrand does an incredible job of depicting Louis Zamperini’s emotions and thoughts through his time spent serving the United States in the army.  Certainly recommend this novel for anyone who even slightly likes history. 

Dollface by Renee Rosen is a great look back into the Roaring Twenties, when men and women were rebelling against the recent ban on alcohol and going to bars.  It tells the story of a woman, Vera Abramowitz, who becomes a flapper to live an exciting life that she never got to live before, but having to deal with the consequences of dealing with Al Capone’s gang rivalries.  This story is great for anyone who enjoys some crime and violence, as well as interesting stories of the “great twenties.”

I will warn you, this book is a little on the more graphic/sad end, but it is one that I believe every girl (and boy) should read.  Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson is a story about a girl who is outcasted from her entire school for calling the cops and busting an “end-of-summer” party.  I won’t spoil it for you and tell you why she called the cops; I’ll just let you read it.   

Enjoy curling up in bed with some tea or coffee and a warm blanket this cold season with one of these AMAZING books!