HCM book illustration?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM book illustration?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Book Review: “It Ends with Us” by Colleen Hoover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Ever since I was little, I’ve always been a book junkie. I would sit in my room and read books all day long while, I’m imagining, every other 8-year-old would run around at the park. And thankfully, not much has changed. I still get butterflies when I walk into the book store and still want every single novel my fingers touch. My latest favorite has been Colleen Hoovers “It Ends with Us,” a story that will have you flipping pages faster than you thought possible. 

Funny enough, I first heard of this novel through an Instagram story, where the girl posting described it as one of the best books she’s read in a long time. Right away I went onto my Goodreads account, searched it up, and realized that every single review was nothing less than five stars. That’s all the convincing it took for me to run to the closest library and pick it up. 

“It Ends with Us” follows a young woman, Lily Bloom, who has pursued her dreams in moving to Boston after graduating college. One night she meets handsome neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid and quickly becomes infatuated, but after her first love Atlas reappears in her life, everything seems to go haywire.

She’s torn on whether to nurture her current romance, even though it may be destroying her, or taking a leap of faith into Atlas’s arms and go back in time to when she was 17.  

I personally am a sucker for anything romance, which is essentially what this book offers. I mean, what’s better than a love triangle? But it doesn’t stop there. In fact, my favorite part of the book was how Hoover took what could be considered a superficial topic, and made it into a novel that leaves you both crying tears of joy and happiness. I won’t spoil it, but there’s life lessons that go much deeper than how to fix being in love with two people at the same time. I went into the story expecting a light-hearted quick read, but left feeling like it’s one of those books I’ll never forget. 

The story is told from Lily’s perspective, which thankfully allows the audience to know all her thoughts. Throughout the story she includes letters that she wrote to Ellen Degeneres, yes the famous person you see on TV, when she was in high school. It gives the audience a chance to find out more about her past, without Lily having to vocally recall it. 

“It Ends with Us” deserves 100% 5/5 stars. It’s a whirlwind romance that will leave you wanting Lily as your best friend. Once you pick it up, I guarantee you won’t be able to put it down. Colleen Hoover, the queen of romance, has done it once again.

Jordana is a senior at the University of Connecticut double majoring in communication and journalism and minoring in women, gender and sexuality studies. She spends her free time hanging out with friends, writing for The Daily Campus and most importantly, watching Below Deck Mediterranean. To reach Jordana, shoot her an email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu or DM her on Instagram @jcastelli22!