Bono Recognized as Glamour’s ‘Woman of the Year’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Every year, Glamour magazine recognizes multiple women for their remarkable accomplishments and overall awesomeness. This year’s winners include Simone Biles, Emily Doe (the woman who penned that gut-wrenching letter to her assailant, the Stanford Rapist), and the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement, Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi.

However, there is one person who received this esteemed award that is causing some controversy. That is because one of Glamour’s “Women of the Year” is a man.

U2’s Bono was among the amazing women to be honored this year. He not only is an iconic musician and sunglasses enthusiast, but he also is a fierce feminist and philanthropist.

Use those shades to block out the haters, Bono

Bono is the founder of “Poverty is Sexist,” a campaign designed to bring awareness and help the world’s poorest women.

After receiving this accolade, Bono expressed his gratitude to Glamour:

“I’m sure I don’t deserve it… But I’m grateful for this award as a chance to say the battle for gender equality can’t be won unless men lead it along with women. We’re largely responsible for the problem, so we have to be involved in the solutions.”

While some people are delighted by this progressive step taken by Glamour to be more gender-inclusive, other women are not pleased with this decision and call it a “stab at equality.”

Regardless of what your opinion may be, one thing is certain: Bono is passionately fighting for women’s rights and teaching men that they are a crucial part of the feminist movement. I don’t know about you, but I think that definitely deserves some recognition.

Cover Photo Source