Big Moments from the 88th Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The 2016 Academy Awards were full of big moments with many statements made on racial, gender, environmental, and social issues.

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness, winner of the Documentary (Short Subject), was about a woman who survived an honor killing in Pakistan. Director Sharmeem Obaid-Chinoy, took the stage to speak out for women in oppressive cultures. Obaid-Chinoy thanked all of the strong women who helped her make the film as well as her husband and those who speak out and advocate for education for girls. Her powerful speech garnered applause as she ended by saying how because of the film, Pakistan’s prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, said he would work to make such killing illegal

Obaid-Chinoy accepting her award

Later in the night, Vice President Joe Biden took the stage to ask everyone to take the pledge to no longer be a bystander to sexual assault on college campuses. Following his speech, Lady Gaga performed her Oscar nominated song “Til It Happens to You”, bringing the audience to their feet. As the song came to an end, women and men dressed in everyday clothing took the stage each with a different phrase written on their arms including, “Survivor,” and “Not Your Fault”. Lady Gaga stood during the final moments of the song standing hand in hand with the other women and men on stage.  The camera panned over the crowd, many people moved to tears by her song. Vice President Joe Biden and Lady Gaga used this stage to say that we need to, “change the culture” on campus sexual assault.

Lady Gaga and sexual assault survivors standing in unity after Gaga’s performance 

Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith took home Best Original Song for  their song, “Writing’s On The Wall” from the film Spectre which Smith performed earlier in the evening.  Smith also dedicated his award to the LGBTQ+ community and ended his powerful acceptance speech by saying, “I stand here tonight as a proud gay man, and I hope we can all stand together as equals one day.”

Jimmy Napes & Sam Smith accepting their awards

The night’s big winners were Brie Larson who took home the award for Best Actress for her role in Room and Leonardo DiCaprio who won his first Oscar for Best Actor for his role in The Revenant.  Best Picture went to Spotlight for its portrayal of the  journalists who investigated the history of sexual assault in the Catholic church system.

Leonardo DiCaprio, award in hand, delivers his winning speech to a standing ovation

DiCaprio thanked the film’s director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, co-star Tom Hardy, the rest of the cast and crew, and many more.  DiCaprio also talked about climate change, a cause the actor is passionate about.

Mad Max: Fury Road was the most awarded film of the night taking home a grand total of six Oscars including those for Best Costume Design,  Film Editing, Makeup & Hairstyling, Production Design, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing.

I am from a small New Hampshire town you have probably never heard of before. I am always active and on the go, soccer, lacrosse, hiking, skiing, running and even horse back riding. I am shamelessly in love with every member of the Boston Red Sox as well as my border collie/aussie mix of a pup, Sophie. I am a physiology and neurobiology major here at Uconn and if I could be any one in the world other than myself I would be Christina Yang from Greys Anatomy