This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As the political climate lights up in fierce conflict, the country has become a social media war zone of name-calling, divisive stereotypes, and childish insults. Because of this, America has become the comedy sideshow, as other nations are forced to sit and watch as we fight and argue about one issue after another. This hyper-focus on winning and losing just to spite the other side has even become the motivating factor for some voters, but the climate crisis is the one issue on the table that isn’t a win or lose debate as it could result in the destruction of humanity (…so basically a must-win). So as the polls open up and the ballets are sent out, I figured that breaking down one of the biggest issues facing the world may make filling in the bubbles on your ballot a little easier. 

But first, I’ll indulge you with a quick little context on climate change so you can understand the gravity that each and every vote holds. The crisis we face as inhabitants of the Earth is one that cannot be completely reversed. That is a fact. The harm to the environment was set in motion when humans started prioritizing industrialization and mass-consumerism over the health and wellbeing of living things. But, as we’ve been told by experts, it may not be too late to avoid what is to come if we continue this way of life. 

So here’s the breakdown of our candidates’ views on the climate crisis: 

Joe Biden

Joe Biden smiling at outdoor event
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

“There is no greater challenge facing our country and our world.”

• Used the Green New Deal as a framework for his environmental plan

• Plan ensures that the U.S. achieves a 100% clean energy economy and reaches net-zero emissions no later than the year 2050

• Stands up to the abuse of power by polluters who disproportionately harm communities of color and low-income communities

• Moody’s Analytics predicts that Biden’s plan will create 7 million more jobs than his opponent’s

• Plans to re-enter the Paris Climate Agreement

• Believes the climate crisis is a national security risk

• “The United States urgently needs to embrace greater ambition on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge”

• Important to note: this plan won’t ban fracking, which poses many climate risks

Donald Trump

donald trump speaking at a rally
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

“I think there is some connectivity [between human activity and climate change]. There is some, something. It depends on how much. It also depends on how much it’s going to cost our companies.” 

• Removed America from the Paris Climate Agreement, which was in order to hold nations accountable for global warming 

• In October 2017, the Trump administration rolled back The Clean Power Plan that required the cutting of carbon emissions by 32 percent by the year 2030

• Attributes forest fires to leaves on the forest floor and believes maintenance of this would solve the issue

• Delisted climate change from the list of national security threats in December of 2017

• Resulted in less Department of Defense research funding to study and prevent wildfires, droughts, hurricanes, and other natural disasters

• Has repeatedly spoken out against science and experts 

So, Americans face a decision this election season that could alter their way of life for years and years to come. These two candidates are often nitpicked about their varying economic and social viewpoints, but what we need to understand is without an environment that can sustain our way of life, there won’t be an economy or society to protect. We can’t thrive on money or culture alone. We need Earth to thrive for humanity to thrive. And now more than ever, the power rests in the hands of the people. VOTE.

Caroline is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in nursing. She is passionate about climate activism, loud music, and breakfast food.