Style > Beauty

Beauty Products That Are Good for You and Better For The Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Let’s talk about skincare, haircare and things in between. A lot of beauty products contain chemicals and ingredients that can be harsh on the body and harmful to the environment. Here is list of products that will not only take care of your skin and hair using natural ingredients, but who’s sustainably sourced ingredients will leave less of a harmful impact on the environment.

Skincare

Alba Botanica

Alba Botanica is one of the most affordable brands on the market that doesn’t use artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, harsh sulfates, or parabens. One of their best working and most popular products, the AcnedoteTM Face and Body Scrub uses crushed walnut shells rather than the plastic microbeads that a lot of facial scrubs use because their conscious of the harm they pose to our environment. I can honestly say that since I started using it every evening 6 months ago, I’ve see a HUGE improvement in the texture of my combination skin.  

Body

Myro

When I say I’ve tried a lot of natural deodorants, I mean I’ve tried A LOT (cue the 21 Savage track) of natural deodorants. None of them have been as good as this brand that is aluminum, parabens, and synthetic fragrance free. They use ingredients like barley powder to keep you dry and natural fragrances like spearmint and juniper to keep you smelling fresh. What puts them on the top of my list is that its comes in refillable case and recyclable deodorant pod to limit waste.

Pacifica Makeup

Once in a while its nice to treat yourself to the newest Anastasia eyeshadow pallet (me) or the newest Fenty gloss (meeeee), but if you’re looking for some affordable plant-based natural makeup this brand has it all. All their products, which also includes their fragrance, lotion, and haircare products are paraben, phthalate, silicone, mineral oil and petroleum free. They even have a partnership with Preserve that allows you to send back empty product containers using a prepaid shipping label so that it doesn’t end up in our oceans, whoop whoop!

Haircare

Love, Beauty, and Planet

Well it’s in the name for this one, the Love, Beauty, and Planet hair care line really is looking out for our planet and your hair. Every ingredient they use is sourced responsibly, their bottles are 100% recycled plastic, they are super carbon conscious, and they are committed to giving their consumers a fast rinse in effort to cut down on water waste. Their products use a bunch of natural ingredients like turmeric and argan oil that will even tame curly, which being a curly haired girl myself, is a very big plus.

We’ve entered a period where being conscious of and actively trying to better our environment is no longer an option. These brands all strive to make products that are good for you and good for the earth, the perfect win win. Start keeping in mind that any small changes you can make to your daily beauty routine can be the difference needed, and you might be surprised just how much you like them.

Fun fact: all these products cruelty free too :)

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!