Battle of the Liquid Lipsticks: Kylie Cosmetics vs. Jeffree Star Cosmetics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I think we can all agree that liquid lipsticks are all the rage right now. Almost every makeup brand has its own form of the product, and as a true makeup addict, I can definitely say that I’ve had my fair share of absolute favorites and absolute failures in this department. The two most talked about brands when it comes to liquid lipsticks are Kylie Cosmetics and Jeffree Star Cosmetics. I decided that this week I would have the two products go head-to-head and see which one, truly, is the best.

Price:

Kylie Cosmetics’ “Lip Kits” are priced at $29.00 each, but that includes the liquid lipstick itself, and also a matching lip liner.

Jeffree Star Cosmetics’ “Velour Liquid Lipsticks” are priced at $18.00 each, but that does not include a matching lip liner. So if having a matching lip liner is a must for you than I would say go for Kylie Cosmetics. Also, keep in mind that wearing a lip liner with lip products usually benefits the product’s durability throughout the day, and I have noticed that this is extremely true with Kylie’s Lip Kits.

Shipping:

Not going to lie, Kylie Cosmetic’s shipping is ridiculous. Currently she is doing free shipping over $40 for the holidays, but usually shipping is $8.95. Shipping for Jeffree Star Cosmetics is $5.95, which is what shipping usually costs for most companies. So if money is an issue or unless you’re only going to purchasing Kylie Cosmetics for the holidays, I would say go for Jeffree Star Cosmetics.

Product:

Overall, both products are good. For Kylie Cosmetics, I really like the scent of the product which is vanilla cupcake. It is strong, so if you’re sensitive to smell then keep this in mind. I prefer Kylie’s scent over Jeffree Star Cosmetics, which is root beer float. It has a much milder scent than Kylie’s products, but to me it smells more like plastic than root beer float. I prefer Jeffree Star’s formula because it feels light weight, whereas Kylie’s feels a bit heavier. When it comes to the wands I would have to say I like Kylie’s more because Jeffree’s is fluffier, and harder to be precise with in my opinion. Overall, both products have their fair share of pros and cons.

Durability:

I found that both products had their fair share of fallout. Jeffree’s product was more moisturizing than Kylie’s but that meant that no matter what, there would be transfer. Since Kylie’s were more drying, by the end of the day there was a lot of crumble. I love how moisturizing Jeffree’s products are but I don’t think I can deal with constant transfer onto water bottles, cups, forks, etc.

Availability:

Whenever I go to both of the companies’ websites I notice that a lot more of Jeffree Star Cosmetics’ products are sold out than Kylie’s. Although I do have to say that whenever a new release comes out on Kylie’s website, you better be on the site 5 minutes before because those products sell out quick!

Shades:

I am happy to say that both companies have a wide range of shades. I find that Kylie’s Lip Kits have more shades that work for my specific skin tone which is medium/dark. Jeffree’s liquid lipstick has a lot more crazy bright colors that I’m not comfortable with, but at the end of the day, both companies have shades that can work with fair to deep skin!

All in all, both products are great. Personally, I would find myself using Kylie’s Lip Kits more than Jeffree Star’s Velour Liquid Lipsticks, but that is just my opinion. For one, Kylie has many more shades that work with my skin tone, and that I am comfortable with. Also Kylie’s Lip Kits have a much better scent than Jeffree’s liquid lipsticks. Kylie Cosmetics works better for my lips, but that doesn’t mean that Jeffree Star Cosmetics is absolutely horrible. If at the end of the day, money is the deciding factor, then of course go ahead with Jeffree Star Cosmetics. If you don’t mind spending a little more, then I would say go for Kylie Cosmetics.

Winner: Kylie Cosmetics

Cover Image Source

Sade is currently a senior at UConn, and is enrolled as a Human Development and Family Studies major. Sade enjoys binge-watching youtube videos, doing her makeup, and people who get her name right the first time meeting her (shah-day). Sade hopes to go into early education, preferably into teaching at a head start or birth-to-three center.