Baby Where’d You Get Your Body(suit) From?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Read it, weep, and hit the Stairmaster, bodysuits are taking over fashion nightlife faster than Kim and Kris’s divorce. The fashion world has finally caught up to style icons like Beyoncé and Rihanna, who have buttoned, zipped, and snapped their way on stage bearing LOTS of leg in itty-bitty (yes, this is right) bodysuits. Who didn’t drool when Beyoncé appeared at the Super Bowl in a black, detailed and glammed version of her favorite beloved style? And let’s not even get into the serious girl crush nearly everyone under age 28 has on Rihanna.

Alright so you’re not actually going to go out looking like you just stepped off the set of the “Single Ladies” video shoot (or you are at least advised not to). This being said, bodysuits can be used as a tool add a little glam and a lot of Cat Woman-inspired sexiness to an outfit. Pair a bodysuit with skinny jeans, slim fitting pants, or a cute skirt for a night out at a club or bar.

Retail stores like Urban Outfitters and American Apparel feature a variety of styles and colors including long-sleeved, short-sleeved, halter, backless, partial mesh and complete mesh (not recommended, for hopefully obvious reasons). For those fortunate enough, cleavage-revealing bodysuits with mesh lining are especially popular and flattering.  For the rest of us lacking in that particular department, backless or styles with mesh on the sides are the way to go.

Some things to remember when endeavoring to wear a bodysuit successfully:

1. They require bottoms. Don’t even try to pull a J. Lo and walk out of your dorm without at least donning a skirt
  2. If it zips or snaps, make sure it is secure. Needless to say you don’t want anything coming undone while you drop it low on the dance floor.
  3. Wear heels! This is a look that is fun and bold, so you might as well own it and rock a pair of heels at the same time.
  4. You probably need a special bra. Because a lot of these styles are mesh or low-backed, you’ll likely need to invest in an awkward chicken-cutlet looking sticky bra. Your outfit will thank you later.

There are a ton of styles and ways to wear a bodysuit, so mixing, matching, and adding your own unique flare is essential in making this look work for you. Here are some of my personal favorites:

My name is Shannon Gruda and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying journalism. I absolutely love all things fashion-related and I hope to one day be a part of a major publication in New York City. My obsession for magazines and style is far reaching, and I am so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team at UConn. Aside from the fashion aspect of my life, I am a major foodie with a passion for desserts, dance, and traveling. That's all for me!