This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This week’s Artist Corner features: Sydney Roper

Q: Basic Information?A: Senior, Graphic Design major, potential publishing (traditional and comic books) career, favorite medium: Screen Print

Q: How would you describe your style? (As described by other artists)A: Sydney is referential in her work, resembling “traditional” or vintage art, employing extreme detail in her work. She used the term “adaptable” to describe her overall style.

Q: In what ways has the UConn Art Program helped you develop your own personal style?A: Higher-level classes are easier for professors to gauge students’ strengths and weaknesses, a lot of very talented and “insanely accredited” staff work there which makes the experience that much better.

Q: Do you think this (the UConn Art Program) is something all students should be exposed to at least once in their college careers? Why?A: Everybody would benefit from being more creative, it teaches you to value what creative people do. People need a better appreciation of how hard other people (art people) work. We appreciate science and other majors; there are classes offered to non-majors even just intro classes, but there needs to be more encouragement to take these classes.

Q: In what ways does your artwork express “you” that other ways—verbal, written, or other communications—can’t?A: Art captures movement and gesture really well. It’s a way to take your opinions and separate them from yourself in a way other people can see them without having to tell them directly, like feminism for example. Images make people think; “everyone can use words” but your art style is so unique, it’s like a fingerprint.

Q: What do you love most about art? Whether creating or observing.A: I love both [creating and observing] – seeing other people’s art makes me want to go make a hundred things. Creating is a love/hate experience, and “happy accidents” are the best. Also, the new head of the department (Cora Lynn Deibler) is amazing.

Q: Is there anything you would change about the Art Department? (This may be anything from promoting more of the UConn Art Department to other students, or adding a café).A: More work space; what we have now is very limited, and more creative space within the art building. Certain classes can be restricting. Funding is an issue; we “can’t even get field trip transportation, so watching every single science building get renovated is a bummer.”

Q: Are there certain artist stereotypes you feel are present at UConn as well as nationwide or universally that you wish you could disprove? Are there positive ones?A: It’s a physical thing you end up with [art]. People say we’re “wasting mommy and daddy’s money,” and that all we need is exposure. “Exposure doesn’t pay the rent.” It’s all a result of the arts not being highly valued in society; people love movies, graphic tees, etc., but don’t value those who design them. It takes certain “finesse.” We have to make something you like without you knowing we do.

Q: Do you have a favorite artist? Why this one?A: Painter Johannes Vermeer, Alphonse Mucha.

Q: What can the UConn community do to get involved with the arts or support our local artists?A: We have a lot of high-profile guests that visit and they don’t get enough press. They’re very accredited people and should be better advertised, more people should come to see/hear them.

Find Sydney on Instagram ! Here are a few samples of her work, as well as a few of her favorite artists’:

(Fun Fact: Each artist in this illustration has been featured on UConn Artists’ Corner! Know which is which?)

Some of Alphonse Mucha’s work:

Some of Johannes Vermeer’s work: