April Showers Bring Tax Return Checks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There is nothing more satisfying than receiving your tax return checks in the mail just as you are entering the end of spring semester. Although that summer job provided you with the perfect amount of cash to head back to school with this fall, we all tend to have empty pockets come April. Whether it is $100 or $1200, tax return checks are a perfect pick me up on a rainy spring day. Here are some ways we like to spend our tax return checks:

In the words of Kate Spade, “playing dress up begins at five and never truly ends.” Had your eye on that overpriced sweater last week? Go out and buy something frivolous. What better way is there to celebrate all the hard work you did all year?

Have you and your roommates been craving take-out lately but just haven’t had the cash? Use this money to throw a girls night in with wine, movies and a lot of Chinese food.

Lilly Pulitzer is just weeks away from releasing their new Target collection. Hold onto that cash for a little longer and then hit the selves on April 19th!

As college students paying for school, books and groceries, it is hard to donate to our favorite charities. Now is the perfect time to give back.

Take the money and run. Dreaming of a weekend get-away? Use your tax return check to enjoy a weekend exploring Boston or New York. You can even take a day trip to Rhode Island and enjoy the beaches. 

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.