Did Anyone Else Have A ‘Heart Attack’ From Demi’s Recent Single?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Note: Lovato uses they/them/she/her pronouns

I think I can speak for all of us when I say Demi Lovato’s music had me in a serious chokehold growing up. Especially their single, “Heart Attack.” Since 2013, that song has crept its way to every one of my playlists, and has solidified itself as one of the best songs during this era of pop music. Just last month, we were given a gift that I don’t think anyone was truly expecting: Lovato announced that they were going to be releasing the Rock version of their hit single, and it’s safe to say that the entire internet lost their minds — myself included.

What provoked the re-recording?

The original single came out over 10 years ago, and Lovato believed that it was time for the song to get an upgrade. However, this task was anything but easy. In an interview with Billboard, a longtime collaborator of Lovato’s, Oak Felder, shared that he was stuck on how to remaster a song that he saw as already perfect and loved so much. The goal of the record was both to pay homage to the anniversary of the original release, but also to portray the maturation of Lovato and to now represent their new roots within the rock music scene. 

Felder also explained how this version of the song is to show the growth that Lovato has gone through in the public eye. The majority of fans have witnessed Lovato grow up, after being a part of many Disney Channel classics, such as Camp Rock, Sonny With a Chance, and Princess Protection Program. Since their departure from the network, they have experienced public scrutiny due to their relapse, overdose, and coming out. This remaster was designed to show the transformation and strength of Lovato, allowing listeners to really understand and feel the emotions that they have endured. 

However, this was not the only reason. Lovato has been performing the rock version on tour for quite some time, and fans have been loving it. After seeing this positive reaction, they decided that it was time to make an official release. Lovato shared, “I wouldn’t have believed that I would be re-recording this song for a 10-year anniversary because it was that special. But being able to see it from that perspective today is really exciting to me.”

“I saw [my fans] rocking out to it, and it just brought joy to my heart.”

Demi Lovato – Billboard Interview

Fan Reactions

Following the release, the internet became flooded with fans expressing their joy and excitement. The following Tweets are only a glimpse at the amount of support Lovato has received:

Michaela Elam is a sophomore nursing student at the University of Connecticut. She mainly writes articles based around entertainment industry, but is starting to branch out into more topics college centered. Since a young age, Michaela developed a passion for writing, and knew that she wanted to find an outlet to continue while in college. In the future, she hopes to work in the healthcare field as a Nurse Practitioner. In her free time, Michaela enjoys going to the gym, hanging with friends, and going for long drives. She is also an avid listener of R&B music, and is always down for a game of Uno.