This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

One minute your scrolling through videos…and the next you have your credit card in hand. Here are all the things TikTok made me buy and whether or not they live up to their hype (so that you don’t fall into the same traps as me!).

Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer and Volumizer Hot Air Brush

My Rating: 3.5/5

When I saw this hair dryer pop up on my feed I was BEYOND excited. I love getting my hair done at the salon specifically for the blow out. For reference, my hair is long, fairly thick, and wavy. I typically style it by blowdrying and then curling or straightening it. So I imagined this two-in-one product would cut down on my styling time and produce even better results. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, this product isn’t bad and I still use it occasionally. But I usually need to combine it either with a straighter or a blow dryer. It doesn’t give me the ‘straight from the salon’ look, but it does provide a bit of volume that a straightener cannot achieve on its own.

Pro tips: If you start using the dryer when you get out of the shower it will take forever, so make sure your hair is 80% dry before using it. Also be sure to apply a rigorous amount of heat protectant because this thing gets HOT.

Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask

My Rating: 2.5/5

I’m a sucker for a good face mask. So naturally, I had to purchase this product when it seemed like every person on TikTok gave it rave reviews. Unfortunately, I also don’t think this one lives up to the hype. I applied it as an overnight mask, and while it did my face feeling softer after using it, I don’t think it did anything revolutionary to my skin. Especially for the price. I also noticed that I began to break out shortly after starting to use it. To be fair, that could have been for a multitude of reasons unrelated to the face mask. 

Zara Wide Leg Hi Rise Jeans

My rating: 3/5

As soon as I saw these jeans pop up on my feed I knew I needed to buy them. As a fairly tall person (5’8″) it can be very difficult to find jeans that are the right length, and these jeans were advertised as the perfect fit for a tall girl. They also fit the wide leg fashion trend that has become so popular recently. Unfortunately, I ended up returning the jeans because they weren’t the right size and I found that they were a bit tighter than the straight leg jeans I was hoping to recieve. But overall I thought that the quality of these jeans was good and they won’t break the bank. I would recommend sizing up for a more comfortable fit. 

Bershka Clothing Haul

Rating: 2/5

This isn’t a specific product, however I found many TikTok posts featuring clothing hauls from Bershka- a clothing shop headquartered in Spain. This encouraged me to go on an online shopping spree to see what the store had to offer. After purchasing 11 items (all of which I loved on the site) I only ended up keeping 5. Thus, the 2/5 rating. Unfortunately, the majority of the clothing I purchased was very poor quality. And while the prices aren’t super expensive, I expected more from my order than what I recieved. There were few items that I really liked, but expect to return a few of your purchases if you choose to buy from them. And if you want quality clothing, this probably isn’t the best store for you. 

The Ordinary Products

Rating: 4.5/5

The Ordinary has to be one of the most hyped up brands on the app. It seems like every dermatologist on TikTok reccommends them for their effective ingredients, affordability, and the fact that they are vegan! I personally purchased the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, the Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG, the Retinol 0.5% in Squalane, and the 100% Plant-Derived Squalane and so far I really like all of the products! The 100% Plant-Derived Squalane is a great moisurizer, the Caffeine Solution and EGCG is great for puffy eyes, and the Niacinamide and Retinol have a variety of benefits for your skin. I will note that since starting the Retinol product, I have experienced flakey and irritated skin around my eyes. But this seems to be a common reaction to retinol as your skin adjusts to the product. If you are looking for affordable skincare I strongly suggest The Ordinary!

Hopefully these product reviews help you decide what to purchase or steer clear of when you’re deciding what to purchase from TikTok!

Ellie Willis

U Conn '22

Ellie is an Actuarial Science major at The University of Connecticut.