Affordable Monthly Subcription Boxes You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you love trying new products whether it be food, jewelry, or makeup, then a monthly subscription box may be the thing missing from your life. These boxes are perfect for trying new brands in moderation since you don’t have to buy the full-sized product. You can sample different types of products and if you like it, most of the monthly subscription websites have online stores where you can purchase the product in full-size, and often times with a discount! Monthly subscription boxes are a great idea, especially for college students since we are constantly following new trends. Read below for a list of budget-friendly boxes you need to try.

Ipsy – $10/month

Ipsy is a fan fave – consisting of 4-5 sample-sized (and sometimes full-sized) products. The Ipsy team has about 30-40 products each month and then goes through and chooses samples just for you based off of your beauty profile which you fill out upon registration. Each month, the samples come in a super cute little makeup bag that can be reused for a variety of purposes. Upon receiving your samples, you can rate them and gain points that translate into dollars that can be spent in the Ipsy shop. And don’t worry, you can always go back and change your beauty profile whenever you please!

*Pictured is the February Ipsy bag I received containing a full-sized NYX lipstick, two facemasks (I used one already), a full-sized highlighter, a sample-sized bronzer and a full-sized blush brush.

Birchbox – $10/month

Birchbox is another beauty/skincare monthly subscription box. Similar to Ipsy, you fill out a beauty profile full of preferences, favorite brands, and product colors. With this brand, there is a monthly theme with a cute cardboard box that can be reused as a little storage container, but Birchbox does not come with the small makeup bags. In this subscription you will also receive some full-sized, but mostly sample-sized products from a wide variety of brands. One common complaint is that even if you specify that you prefer makeup products expect to see a lot of haircare items in your box.

*Pictured is the box I received for February containing a full-sized lippie stick, a pack of under-eye refreshing pads, a sample-sized face scrub, a sample-sized protecting and detangling hair spray, and a sample-sized rescuing hair serum. For signing up for Birchbox I also received a sample-sized Stila liquid lipstick and a compact mirror.

Boxy Charm – $21/month

Boxy Charm is a little different as it will send you a box filled with 4-5 full-size & luxury-size beauty items. Each box has a value of over $100 and is filled with newer brands and also well-known brands. You have the opportunity to win free products, receive exclusive members-only offers and rewards you can redeem in the Boxy Charm shop. Also, if you don’t like the product, you can always pass it on as a gift since they are full-sized!

Book of the Month Club – Variety of plans

With this profile, you choose your favorite genres of books and how often you read, and each month the service gives you five novel options and from there you choose which of the five you would like to receive as a hardcover book. When you sign up, there are three different offers you can choose from: one month for $5.00, then $14.99/month; three months for $9.99/month, and then $14.99/month; and 12 months for $11.99/month. There is free shipping and you can actually add an additional book to each order for only $9.99.

FaceTory – $4.95/month; $0.99 shipping

Calling all sheet mask lovers! This service has two different plans – the FOURever Fresh plan will send you four sheet masks for $4.95 plus shipping. Or you can sign up for the Seven Lux plan which sends you seven higher-end sheet masks a month for $14.95 and free shipping. This is a company located in California with a love for Korean skincare, so you may be unfamiliar with the brands being sent to you, but it’s a great way to try out new masks.

Treatsie – $19.95/month

This food subscription box provides you with up to $25 of products each month from three different vendors. Each month, a box filled with artisan treats will be delivered to your doorstep. There is an online store for when you find a snack you can’t get enough of.

Graze – $12/month

Graze is for those who want to really personalize their snacking experience. You can explore over 100 food products and the company will find the perfect snack for you based on your preferences. The cool thing about this monthly subscription is that their products have no artificial flavoring or preservatives and have 0g trans-fat.

Pura Vida Bracelets – $14.95/month

Each month you will receive three exclusive bracelets up to a possible $50 value. Instagram influencers and fashion stylists hand pick three bracelets to include in the monthly bag. These bracelets are all hand made in Costa Rica by local artisans. Also, there is no signing your life away with this monthly bag. You can cancel at any time!

For more monthly subscription boxes, check out My Subscription Addiction. You can sort by price and by type.

Cover Image Source