Actress Kayla Young-Lucier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Kayla Young-Lucier

Year: Freshman

Major: Undecided

Age: 18

Hobbies: Acting, reading, singing, watching netflix, and eating.

Why did you choose to attend UConn? “Because I grew up loving UConn and watching the basketball games and wearing white and blue. But as I got older I realized UConn was a great school academically and socially as well.”

How did you get started in acting? “When I was seven my mom put me in theatre camp and I was in my first play. After that I auditioned for every play I could and knew I wanted to be an actress by the time I was ten years old.”

What performances have you been in? “I’ve been in dozens of plays and showcases, but the most notable plays I’ve been a part of were Annie, Fiddler on the Roof, Charlotte’s Web, Almost Maine, and The Wizard of Oz. I’ve also done an iBooks commercial and a commercial for the Smithsonian Museum. I also have had roles in indie films around New England, and I starred in a sitcom pilot in the fall of 2013.”

What’s your favorite thing about acting? “When I’m in a play, my favorite things are bonding with cast members through weeks of rehearsals and run throughs because they become like family by the time you’re done. I also just like entertaining an audience and getting reactions out of an audience. Delivering a line right and getting the audience to laugh is one of the best feelings for me. Acting on camera is a new favorite for me, but I love being a part of the whole process of creating something on film. I never realized just how much goes into making a movie or episode of a show until I did it.”

Any upcoming acting jobs? “In April I’m going to be filming a couple more episodes of a web series I was cast in in October called ‘Prom Dress’. I was also offered a supporting role in an independent political drama, so I’ll see where I go from there.”

Is this a career you want to go into in the future? “Definitely; I’m working as much as I can now to build my resume so I can make acting my full time job.”

Who is your favorite actor/actress? “My favorite actor is Will Smith, and my favorite actresses are Leslie Mann and Winona Ryder.”

What is your favorite movie? “This question is always so difficult because I have so many, but my favorites are definitely The Help, To Kill a Mockingbird, 21 Jump Street, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Mean Girls. It’s a mix of new movies and classics.”

Who would be your dream co-star? “My dream co star would probably be Jennifer Lawrence, she’s amazingly talented and down to Earth.”

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.