This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Japanese-American singer Mitski Miyawaki, better known by her stage name Mitski, is one of the most compelling and significant voices in modern indie music. She moved about a lot as a child, which gives her songs a strong sense of longing and isolation that the audience can connect with. Her lyrics often resonate deeply with minorities and women of color as they often depict a moving picture of their struggle with identity and to conform within society. Ever since making her musical debut in 2012 with the album Lush, Mitski has captured the attention of fans with her heartfelt lyrics, powerful voice, and musical design that challenges tradition.

Her most recent release, “My Love Mine All Mine,” may be recognizable to most due to its growing popularity on TikTok and other social media platforms. Her most well-known albums to date are Puberty 2 and Be The Cowboy, which include two of her most popular tracks, “I Bet on Losing Dogs” and “Washing Machine Heart” (which were both played at Boston’s MGM Music Hall last Thursday night).

Although Mitski’s songs have proven her as an accomplished songwriter and musician, her live performances are what really showcase her talent and individuality. Performing with the utmost raw emotional intensity, Mitski draws those listening in with her carefully produced choreography and stage presence, creating deep and intense responses from the audience. I would like to dive into every aspect of the concert experience, looking into its intricate workings from the inside out and evaluating the significance it holds to myself and others.

The MGM Music Hall’s design was neatly planned, with foldable chairs arranged in tidy rows around the floor. For those of you who have never been to this hall, the stage area is an open floor concept that serves as a pit for most concerts with balconies surrounding the stage. The arrangement of the seats created a feeling of sophistication and refinement for the anticipated performance, demanding attention and respect from the crowd. Because there were no standing sections, the atmosphere was less rowdy and more suitable for close interaction with the music, allowing everyone to enjoy the event without disturbance.

Before Mitski took the stage, Belgian-Egyptian singer and songwriter Tamino captivated the audience with his hauntingly beautiful guitar notes and ethereal voice, setting the tone for the evening. Prior to the concert, I was completely unaware of who the opening act would be, so I was beyond shocked by the level of pure talent displayed. I came to Boston prepared to shed some tears, but I didn’t expect it to happen so early into the concert.

Tamino performing his song “Habibi” as the opening act for Mitski.

Mitski opened the show with the same setlist that she had previously performed at other venues. The opening song, “Everyone,” absorbed the audience with its mystical melody, and Mitski’s voice sounded as flawless and beautiful as it does on the track itself. Even as the audience joined in, their voices never drowned out Mitski’s powerful vocals. I’m relatively new to indie concerts, so I had to quickly pick up on the unspoken rules of crowd etiquette, such as that clapping and cheering was reserved for the silence in between songs.

Mitski’s performance brought on new dimensions with a live band, highlighting instrumentals that I had missed the first time around when listening to her songs on my own. But Mitski’s choreography was what really caught my attention. Her movements were beyond just a conventional performance; they were more similar to interpretive dance, which gave her music greater depth and complexity. For example, when she sang “I Bet on Losing Dogs,” she dropped on all fours and panted like a dog, making the night unforgettable.

https://www.tiktok.com/@existentiaicrisis/video/7329262565589028139?q=mitski%20concert%20boston%202024&t=1708536151755

Many of Mitski’s songs hold significant relevance in today’s society, but “I Bet on Losing Dogs” deeply resonates with young adults today as it expresses feelings of shame and guilt as she fights with herself to move on from a situation that does not serve her. She’s aware the relationship does not guarantee a happy ending, but she’s willing to gamble on it. Through Mitski’s honest lyricism, many (myself included) find comfort in knowing that we’re not alone in these experiences.

The seamless transitions between songs mirrored Mitski’s onstage performance. She hardly ever took a pause between songs, moving from one song to the next with such ease that it felt like a story was constantly being told to us. Even though Mitski’s songs are meant to be interpreted individually, her performance of “Heaven” stood out as a figurative dance in which she slow-danced with the spotlight itself, stirring up feelings of nostalgia and a little bit of melancholy.

Once in a while, Mitski took brief breaks to address the audience, sharing witty and playful monologues that felt both spontaneous and rehearsed. Her words reflected such warmth and sincerity; she was truly the epitome of beauty and grace. Mitski closed the show with her song “Fireworks” and with some persistence, treated the crowd to an encore that included two of her most popular songs, “Nobody” and “Washing Machine Heart.” Mitski is a true visionary and I love her unique take on the music industry. Discovering her music changed me in a way, and with that I will leave you with my favorite song of hers.

Tatyana is a driven individual, balancing her role as a dedicated nursing aide with her pursuit of higher education in human development. Her ultimate aspiration is to become a registered nurse, a testament to her commitment to healthcare and helping others. Beyond her professional pursuits, Tatyana is fueled by a deep passion for empowering young women and engaging in conversations about mental health and self-growth. She's incredibly girly, with a slight obsession with all things pink and an undying love for her cat, Hallie.