A Possibly Controversial Ranking of Taylor Swift’s Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With the release of Taylor Swift’s 10th album Midnights last week, I’ve decided to take the huge task of ranking all the albums of the 11-time Grammy winner.

10. Taylor swift

On October 24, 2006, 16-year-old Taylor Swift released her debut self titled studio album. The country album helped launch her career with some of her most popular songs like “Tim McGraw,” “Our Song,” and “Teardrops on My Guitar.” Taylor wrote this album during her freshman year of high school and it’s a solid album, but she was only 15 and still had a lot of room to grow vocally and lyrically.

9. FEARLESS

Taylor released her second studio album on November 11, 2008, at 18 years old. The Fearless era is what truly started to push her into superstardom. The lead single “Love Story” was one of her first big radio hits. “You Belong With Me” was also a huge single from this album. Fearless also gained Swift four Grammy awards including Album of the Year, Best Female Country Vocal Performance, Best Country Song, and Best Country Album. In 2021, Taylor re-recorded the album and added six unheard songs. Fearless is a good album and the only reason I have it so low is because she would go on to create much better works, in my opinion.

8. REPUTATION

On November 10, 2017, after almost a year-long hiatus, Taylor released her most controversial album to date. Reputation was Taylor’s response to the narrative that she is bitter and vengeful. Songs like “Look What You Made Me Do” and “This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” reacted to the decade-long drama between her and Kanye West. It also paints the picture of Taylor being her happiest while being shunned by the internet. This album has some of my favorites on it but as a follow-up to 1989, it falls short.

7. LOVER

Taylor released her seventh studio album on August 23, 2019. This pop album tells the story of Taylor being in love. Taylor was at her happiest while writing this and most of the album is rumored to be about her long-term boyfriend Joe Awlyn. For the most part, I love listening to Taylor being in love with songs like “Daylight” and “Lover”; Taylor’s lyrical skill is undeniable. I love this album but “ME!” is on this album so I can’t rightfully rank this album higher.

6. 1989

On October 27, 2014, Taylor Swift ditched her country roots and released her first full pop album. 1989 is a timeless pop masterpiece. With 80s influences, she steps up in her lyrics and her overall sound. She won three Grammy’s from this album, including her second Album of the Year award. This was by far her most career-defining era, and I think was a big part of what made her a household name. This album holds a special place in my heart. It’s the album that introduced me to Taylor and started my obsession. Putting this album so low was really hard.

5. Midnights

At the 2022 VMA’s, Taylor announced her 10th studio album. She described the album as ”the story of 13 sleepless nights.” It does not sound like I expected. Over the last two years, I have gotten used to sad folk Taylor and this was completely different. We are reintroduced to pop Taylor and I missed her. This album is a grower— the more I listen, the more I like it. There are a few cringy lyrics but overall I enjoyed the album. “You’re on Your Own, Kid” might be one of my favorite Taylor songs to date. In true Taylor fashion, she also surprised release seven more songs at 3 am, making me lose my mind and any chance of being well-rested.

4. Speak now

On October 25, 2010, Taylor Swift released her third studio album mixing elements of country, pop, and pop rock. This is one of her strongest albums to date. Taylor revealed to Rolling Stone she decided to completely write this album by herself in response to critics saying she doesn’t write her own songs. I think that this album proves what Taylor can do. One of the singles, “Mean”, also landed Taylor her fifth and sixth Grammy. I love this album, and I cry to “Dear John” at least once a month.

3. Evermore

On December 11, 2020, Taylor Swift shocked the world (again) by surprise releasing her ninth studio album. The sister album to folklore allowed Taylor to continue her folk-pop sound. This album is incredible with a beautiful tribute to her grandmother on the song “Marjorie.” This album continues to prove that Taylor has a place among the greatest musicians of the decade.

2. RED

Taylor Swift released her fourth album with a mix of country and pop on October 22, 2012, and in 2021 rereleased the album. Red helped continue to launch her into superstardom. The lead single, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” gained Taylor her first number one on the Billboard Hot 100. This album also contains what many know as her best song, “All too Well.” With the rerelease, some argue that now the 10-minute version of “All too Well” is her best. This was my favorite album of all time throughout most of my childhood. This album is a little messy and chaotic, but as a teenager in college that has no idea what she is doing, I find that comforting.

1. Folklore

On July 24, 2020, Taylor Swift released, in my opinion, the greatest thing of all time. Taylor decided to surprise release her eighth studio album. folklore was shocking because it was completely different from her previous album, Lover, and with one album, Taylor became a prevalent folk-pop artist. This album also gained Taylor her 11th Grammy, and she became the first female artist to win Album of the Year three times. This is my favorite album ever, and in my opinion, she has never written or sounded better.

Taylor Swift is my favorite artist ever and, in my opinion, one of the best of all time. No matter what she puts out it’s extremely rare that I will find it bad (except for ”ME!”, that was an atrocity). So no matter what your favorite or least favorite album by Taylor is, I think we should all bask in her talent.

Naya Hall

U Conn '26

Naya is a freshmen at the University of Connecticut studying English. She loves reading , Taylor Swift, and watching romcoms and coming of age movies.