UConn Basketball Game
UConn Basketball Game
Original photo by Mairead Gillespie

A History Of Husky Championships From The Last Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As the University of Connecticut Final Four game approaches, many are anticipating and hoping for another National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship title. Of the four teams (UConn, San Diego State, Florida Atlantic, and UMiami), UConn is the only team that has won a national championship before. The odds of UConn winning are high, but as any basketball fan knows, March Madness is full of upsets and high seeds not ending up on top. Winning this year would continue UConn’s basketball legacy by being the men’s team’s fifth championship and the sixteenth for both the men’s and women’s programs. Five of the sixteen national championships were won just in the past ten years, so in preparation for Final Four, here are some of UConn’s most recent national championship wins.

March Madness
Original photo by Mairead Gillespie

2016: UConn vs. Syracuse

The most recent UConn national championship was won by the women’s team in 2016. In the championship game, they beat Syracuse 82-51. Katie Lou Samuelson, Kia Nurse, Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck were the starters for the Huskies. This game was historic for Geno, the players, and the women’s team’s legacy. Their win was their fourth in a row and eleventh total national title. The UConn women’s basketball team became tied with the UCLA men’s basketball team for the most national championships, and Geno became the only coach with 11 national titles. In addition to these successes, star player Breanna Stewart was named the Final Four Most Outstanding Player for the fourth time in her college career. Stewart and other starting seniors, Jefferson and Tuck, are the only four-time national championship winners in college basketball history.

2015: Uconn vs. notre Dame

UConn beat their long-time rival and claimed their third national championship in a row in the 2015 championship game. Despite losing to Notre Dame three times that year, UConn was still able to pull a 63-53 win. This team was led by senior Kaleen Mosqueda-Lewis, and juniors Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson.

2014: Uconn vs. notre dame

2014 was a big year for the Huskies, as both the men and the women won the national championship. The women’s team beat Notre Dame 79-58, which was no easy task, as both teams went into the game undefeated. During this season, Breanna Stewart was the third sophomore in college basketball to be awarded Associated Press Player of the Year. In addition to Stewart’s award, UConn finished their season with a record of 40-0, tying with Baylor for the most wins in a season.

2014: Uconn vs. Kentucky

In the same year, the men’s team also made history with their 60-54 win against the University of Kentucky. They became the first #7 seed team to win an NCAA championship. In addition to this record-breaking win, Shabazz Napier was awarded Player of the Year. With the men’s and women’s wins, UConn became the first and only school in NCAA history to have its men’s and women’s basketball programs win a national championship in the same season twice (their first time was in 2004).

2013: Uconn vs. Louisville

Ten years ago, the UConn women’s team won a national championship game that would start their four-year streak of national championships. They beat Louisville 93-60, tying for the second most points in a Final Four game. The key starters for the Huskies were Kaleen Mosqueda-Lewis, Stephanie Dolson, and Kelly Faris.

As March Madness comes to an end and the possibility of another championship is on the horizon, it’s exciting to look back on past championships. Whether it’s at Gampel, Huskies, Ted’s, or at home, most of the student body (even those not that interested in basketball) will be tuning in. Regardless of how the Final Four game goes for the Huskies goes this weekend, the legacy of the basketball program is undeniable. Win or lose, it’s hard to deny we’re in the Basketball Capital of the World.

Elysia Rudman is the TikTok Chair of Her Campus UConn. Elysia loves writing about fashion, pop culture, and social issues. She is currently a Junior studying Marketing. On Campus, Elysia is also the Vice President of Business Management Society. In her free time she loves going to museums, spending time with her dogs, and going to spin classes.