Style > Fashion

A Guide To The Perfect UConn Student’s Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As a student at the best school for sports fans, and also the rainiest campus in the state, for students, it’s important to have the necessities.

When I first came to the University of Connecticut I was not only terrified of classes, but worried I didn’t pack the right things. College can be daunting, and it’s natural to feel overwhelmed. Hopefully, this list of essential items for a UConn student will help guide your packing process.

RAIN coat

Since I have attended UConn Storrs, I’ve realized that without a raincoat, umbrella, or at least a hat and a hoodie, rain will be your worst enemy. Just this past week there have been five rainy days. It’s definitely not ideal, but with a good rain jacket, you’ll survive. L.L. Bean has some relatively affordable and durable rain jackets that are also flattering.

Hats!

Another essential I completely overlooked as a freshman is a hat. In college, you’ll likely be in a rush, whether it’s trying to rush to your 8 a.m. or grabbing a snack quickly, so it’s a possibility that you won’t always have time to do your hair. A hat is the perfect solution. Hats also have plenty of benefits like blocking your makeup from rain or shielding your face from the sun. Regardless, playing it safe and packing a hat is always smart. Even just one hat will suffice.

Going-out tops

It’s always good to have some tops that you can wear on a night out. These tops could be cute, simple tank tops, or something a little more fun, like a corset or sheer top. places like Urban Outfitters, Edikted, and Pacsun have some super cute options, but they can get pricey. I like to view people’s Amazon Storefronts. For example, Alix Earle composed a list of some great options on her Amazon Storefront.

An Unlimited supply of sweatshirts

I once saw a college packing essentials Tiktok that said you only need to pack five sweatshirts maximum for college — but I wholeheartedly disagree. I bring at least eight (probably 10), and before you say there’s not enough room, let me explain. As a girl at a university in the northeast, you will be cold regularly, whether it’s because of the poor heating in dorms, or just the freezing temperatures outside, you will want to bundle up. There is also limited access to washers and dryers, so you need extras. I practically live in sweatshirts in the winter, so I need at least eight. Personally, I only packed six sweatshirts freshman year, and shortly after asked my parents to bring me plenty more, so trust me, bring more!

As a UConn student or a Connecticut resident in general, you’ll want a UConn Hoodie. The school bookstore has a lot of great options.

Accessories

Utilizing accessories is a great way to elevate an outfit. Adding a necklace and chunky earrings to a comfy outfit can make it look 10 times cuter. Jewelry can get expensive, but there are some places you can get long-lasting jewelry for a cheaper price. Marshalls and T.J. Maxx are two of my favorite stores to purchase accessories because they offer better quality accessories for cheap. Some good online options are Etsy and stores like Elevado Jewelry. Mejuri and Atolea are both great websites to get affordable jewelry that won’t tarnish.

Leggings

Of course, you need leggings, it’s a go-to for a college girl’s comfy fit. I recommend investing in three pairs of good-quality leggings that will last you through the school year. Aeries leggings are incredibly comfortable, and also my personal favorite leggings. With so many different styles you can create a unique, yet still comfy look.

Packing for college can be overwhelming, but this list should guide you in the right direction!

Kelti is a Junior at the University of Connecticut studying Journalism and Communications. Her love for fashion has inspired her writing.