5 Ways to Keep Your Dorm Clean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Since we’re now halfway through the semester, it’s safe to say that many of us are feeling overwhelmed with numerous responsibilities and are falling into a slump. When we have a never-ending amount of items on our “to-do” lists, it’s incredibly easy to forget about other small aspects of our everyday lives, like keeping a clean room.

I am certainly guilty of this myself, but I will say that coming back to an organized living space after an exhausting day is very comforting and it definitely makes me feel more relaxed in my living space.

Below, I’ve compiled a list of simple tasks to complete that will keep your dorm organized and prevent it from becoming a literal black hole.

1. Make your bed every morning

Believe me, I know how hard this can be. Especially when you’re rushing out the door for your 9:00 am class, the last thing you’re worried about is if your comforter and pillows are positioned correctly.

But once you convince yourself to make your bed, you’ll realize that it seriously only takes a minute. I recommend doing it as soon as you get out of bed, since it’ll prevent you from wanting to jump right back under the blankets. When you return to your room later in the day, you’ll thank yourself for taking the time to do it. Tangled blankets are super frustrating when getting into bed, and a made bed just makes the room look more put-together!

2. Don’t let the laundry pile build

In my opinion, this is the most difficult task I’ve included in this article. Finding a decent chunk of time in your day to do laundry is so challenging, and even worse is when you have two to three machines worth of clothes. What about when you make the trek to the laundry room and there are simply no open machines? All of these factors make it seem nearly impossible to get it done, but there are ways around it!

Try to do your laundry at least once a week, if not more. If you are a busy individual, it may be helpful to look at your schedule for the week and pick out a day that you’ll devote a couple hours for doing laundry. Once everything is finally folded away and hanging in the closet, it’ll feel super refreshing to have a full selection of clothing.

Another key factor is finding ideal times to do laundry! In my experience, I’ve had consistent success with early mornings. If you make a point to wake up early, many of your fellow dorm residents will likely be sleeping in and most, if not all, machines will be available. Afternoons and late nights are often the busiest since everyone tends to be back in their dorms at these times.

3. Keep an eye on food & Dishes

I personally love snacking and enjoying some leftovers out of the microwave, but it’s crucial to make sure your chip bags are sealed, your dishes get cleaned, and the trash is taken out regularly. Especially while living in a communal space with a roommate, it is important to be mindful of their space and keep the bugs away! I’m an advocate for reusable dishware, but if that is what you choose to use, you must be sure to wash them regularly.

I normally empty my trash as it fills up, but I’ll always make a point to do it sooner if I’m throwing away food. Dorm buildings have larger trash rooms as well! Sometimes it is necessary to make a trip down there if you’re throwing away anything food related.

Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon

4. Keep your dresser organized

On days when I’m rushing around, I often notice how quickly my dresser drawers become cluttered while looking for that one specific shirt I have to wear but cannot find. After searching through four different drawers at least a dozen times I’ll resort to wearing something else, but now my clothes are wrinkled and now I’ll really never be able to find anything.

Whenever I do laundry, I’ll refold all the clothes in my drawer so I won’t create an even larger mess when adding the clean clothes on top. This might seem time-consuming, but it’s super helpful for me to know exactly where my clothes are and to prevent everything from becoming chronically wrinkled.

5. Vacuum often!

This piece of advice is minor but super important! First off, if you do not have a vacuum for your dorm I highly suggest purchasing one. There are many inexpensive options out there and you do not necessarily need a high-tech one since you only have a small area of floor space to cover. The one I own and highly recommend can be found here. Check out Amazon and Walmart for other options too!

Vacuuming once a week is a simple task that should take no more than a few minutes! I often don’t realize how much dust, dirt, and hair build up on the floor until I’m emptying the vacuum container. Taking this step will ultimately prevent a mess from spreading across the floor.

You will thank yourself later!

I fully understand how easy it is to let your room fall into shambles, as well as how quickly it happens. Although, putting yourself first and listening to your needs are most important. Sometimes cleaning our room is the lowest priority task when dealing with numerous others, and that is okay.

However, I’ve realized that the disorganization of my living space only creates more stress, and making a point to keep it organized has improved my mental health greatly.

If you have also fallen victim to a messy room, I hope my suggestions have provided some starting points on how to prevent it from happening in the future!

Celia is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying nutritional sciences. She loves concerts, grabbing coffee, and taking spin classes.