galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Life > Experiences

A Guide to Galentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As I began decorating my dorm for Valentine’s Day, I realized the decorations flowed perfectly with my existing pink theme. With symbols of Valentine’s Day like roses and hearts aligning with traditionally feminine symbols, it almost feels like the holiday is meant to be spent with the girls. Although “Galentine’s Day” was named only recently and is considered to be the day before Valentine’s, the term can be used interchangeably through the weekend before. I believe Galentine’s can hold as much love as Valentine’s Day in its own ways. A significant aspect of our well-being is the people we choose to take advice from and cry to, and that love deserves to be celebrated too. While both holidays highlight our love for others, Galentine’s especially highlights the self-love gained from a good group of best friends. Representative of being encouraged by friends, Galentine’s is the day for a confident-themed photoshoot and girls night in/out. Below are some tips and ideas to make your Galentine’s Day the best it can be.

the photoshoot

Color scheme

The color scheme is applicable to all outfits, makeup, accessories, backgrounds, and props. It’s easy to make shades flow together when it comes to Valentine’s day, because the strong color scheme of pinks and reds flow together easily. You can make everything all shades of pink, all shades of red, shades of pink and red, or black and white with pops of pink and/or red.

Backdrop

Having something to hang on a wall elevates the photoshoot immensely. Although having a backdrop seems intimidating, it can be made very easily, with pink/red banners, posters, wrapping paper, or even newspaper with red lipstick writing on it. (You can even hang the newspaper first and take pictures writing on it!)

Props

Having props available makes posing for photoshoots much less awkward. For sitting shots, you can cover any chair with a sheet or blanket. Additional fun poses can be created with some loose petals, either real or from a craft or dollar store.

Looks

Galentine’s requires full dedication to everyone’s looks, including trying eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, and/or lip looks you might’ve been nervous to try before. Reflective of and with mind to the backdrop, makeup and clothing can all be monochromatically red or pink, dual-toned red and pink, or black and white with pops of red and/or pink.

girl’s night in/out

night in

If you plan on doing Galentine’s at one of your places, be sure to stock up on snacks and maybe even stuff to bake with. You can watch movies, play games, and throw on some empowering music and continue the photoshoot into dancing shots. Check out the best Galentine’s Day playlist to have a dance party with your girlfriends below:

night Out

If you plan on doing Galentine’s out, you can choose from restaurants, to shopping, to rage rooms, as long as you make the most of it with your friends. The single most important part of this girls night out is sticking together—and no boys.

Neha Jammula is a senior at UConn pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology and statistics. Applying her educational interests, she enjoys writing articles that utilize research to detail and provide explanations for different social events. Writing for a college women's magazine allows her to explore popular culture trends and ongoing conversations among college women. Aside from Her Campus, Neha is also helping write research reports for UConn's Student Life and Enrollment office as an undergraduate student researcher. Some of Neha's other interests that can be found in her archive below are art, poetry, beauty, and lifestyle.