This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The University of Connecticut may face a $160 million budget cut this fiscal year as well as a possible $200 million cut for the following year, according to a speech from UConn President Radenka Maric during my Journalism Newswriting class on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2023.

In response to these possible budget cuts, Maric explained plans for UConn athletics to possibly end its mutual relationship with the XL Center in Downtown Hartford and Rentschler Field at Pratt & Whitney Stadium in East Hartford. This news was striking for students, faculty, and alumni alike.

According to University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz, UConn spent approximately $4 million competing at the XL Center and Pratt & Whitney Stadium during the 2021-2022 academic year. This estimate includes $40,500 in rent per basketball game and $20,500 per men’s hockey game at the XL Center.

Additionally, UConn is charged an average of $20,000 to $30,000 per game in ticket surcharges, resulting in a total cost per basketball game of $60,000 to $70,000. UConn also does not receive concession proceeds and other forms of income available to most of its competitors. It is estimated that the university would generate millions in additional revenue if UConn basketball, hockey, and football competed under a more typical structure.

In addition to the budget cuts from the state of Connecticut, Maric explained how unpaid legacy costs are significantly hurting the university and its faculty. Unpaid legacy costs are retirement and health benefits being paid to retired state employees through the university. Although other states also deal with this issue, Connecticut is the only state making its major university absorb these costs, something that Maric explains is completely unfeasible.

On February 15, Maric and her colleagues said they plan to testify in front of Governor Lamont and the General Assembly before they finalize an agreement on the state budget later this year. To convince the state to invest in UConn, Maric plans to demonstrate the educational value of the institution.

Maric points out that despite an all-time high application rate, UConn does not have the funding or the space to see the same increase in enrollment. Maric believes that UConn should continue to allocate funding to construction, such as the new dorm building on South Campus. She explained that continuing to finance these types of projects will figuratively and literally open doors for all students.

When news broke out about the extent of these budget cuts, students were quick to send out information about how they can #SaveUConn. According to a university-wide email, transportation is being provided for students to go to Hartford to protest these budget cuts and show the state why the University of Connecticut deserves to be heard. Student voices matter.

With all this being said, there is some rhyme and reason behind the tough decisions that Maric and the administration may have to make. According to Maric, UConn graduates are indispensable to the economy and the state of Connecticut in general. She points out that “we are the economic engine of Connecticut” because 77% percent of UConn graduates stay in the state after graduation and continue contributing to the economy. Additionally, Maric explains that half of the engineers in the state of Connecticut are graduates of UConn.

Maric is a graduate of UConn and has been a part of the faculty since August 2010. With over a decade of experience, she is confident in the University’s commitment to protecting and prioritizing education over all else. Maric concluded her speech Tuesday by saying, “Students first, UConn always, Huskies forever.”

Emily Markelon is the Twitter and Facebook Chair for the University of Connecticut chapter of Her Campus. She writes a wide range of articles about topics such as mental health, environmentalism and pop culture. She is a junior environmental studies and journalism double major. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she loves going on walks, listening to music, and journaling.