Wellness > Mental Health

8 Tips For Staying Motivated During Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In this coronavirus pandemic, so many things are being switched to virtual formats. With online classes, it can be hard to stay motivated. From your family to your phone, anything can become a distraction! Here are 8 tips to help you stay motivated and get that education!

laptop open on white desk with pink and golden accents
Photo by Arnel Hasanovic from Unsplash

1. Pay Attention

Teachers are still important! Listen to what they are saying in your classes even if you’ve already read the textbook. They’re often a more helpful resource than your readings and they’re better at explaining concepts. Often, teachers will try to connect big picture ideas and explain how the different concepts you’re learning relate to each other. They might also go over the homework or give you tips on how to study for your next test!

2. Put Your Phone Away

Phones are the ultimate distraction. Tik Tok is an endless pit of wasted time and it’s so easy to open once you pick up your phone. The unanswered texts, snaps, and emails will give you things to do so that you feel productive while you’re actually avoiding that homework assignment right in front of you! During class and homework, put your phone in a desk drawer or out of reach so that you won’t be tempted to look at it and you can focus on your work. 

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

3. Ask Questions

It can seem daunting in your online lectures to ask questions. With all of the cameras and mics turned off it can feel like everyone is silently judging you. But don’t be afraid to ask questions! This is YOUR education and you need to make the most of it. A bunch of other people probably have the same question anyway! If you don’t feel comfortable asking during your lecture (understandably), then make sure to shoot your professor an email with your question so that you understand what’s going on. 

4. Find A “Work” Space

Don’t do your homework or lecture in your bed. I know those 8ams can be hard to wake up for but you will learn so much more if you find a “work” space. This can be anything from a desk to the kitchen counter to another room in your house (or building if you’re on campus). A different location will get you in the right headspace to do your work. 

weekly planner on a tablet
pexels.com

5. Make A To-Do List

When it comes time for homework it can be hard to know where to start. Make a list of everything you have to do, and sort it into categories of things that are urgent and things that are important. Urgent tasks are ones that are due in the next few days. Important tasks are longer-term assignments that you have to work on. Do the urgent tasks first so that you feel super productive and get those off your plate. Then take time to work on the important tasks so that you already feel accomplished and motivated to keep working!

6. Take Breaks 

It’s important to take small breaks to keep you alert and your mind sharp. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or unmotivated, take 20 uninterrupted minutes to do an assignment or two and then give yourself a 5-minute break. This way you don’t feel like you’re working for hours on end and you have a break to look forward to. This will help you to feel refreshed and you will get more work done. Just remember to go back to work after those 5 minutes! 

7. Don’t Put Off Assignments

Do your assignments as soon as you can. By doing them early, you feel calmer and can spend more time really understanding the concepts. You’re actively avoiding the stress of a last-minute assignment and you can put more effort into your work. You’re also giving your future self extra time to go out with friends or watch a movie!

8. Treat Yourself!

When you’re done with your work for the day make sure to treat yourself. Get that donut, watch that show, or go workout because you’ve earned it! Hard work requires a balance between assignments and self-care. Make sure you spend time with family and friends to lift your spirits so that you can stay motivated for the next time you have to do homework!  

Madison is a junior Physiology and Neurobiology major. When she's not writing for Her Campus she enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering with Alpha Omicron Pi.