7 Throwback Songs to Add to Your College Hype Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

A joke among my friends is that I do not know any music post 2010. The majority of my music would not be considered “current day” by any means. That being said, whenever I play music with friends in the room, there is always a resounding “I love this song!” 

Perhaps the most satisfying and validating compliment one can receive is “wow I love your playlist!” Add these songs to your playlist and suddenly become the go-to DJ among your friend group: 

• Everytime We Touch by Cascada: Released in the summer of 2005, this song immediately reached number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. This song is the perfect pop song that anyone can learn quickly due to its repetitive lyrical nature. 

• Last Friday Night by Katy Perry: Released in 2010, this classic throwback details the story of one’s Friday night. Play this to hype yourself before a fun Friday night!

• Hey Ya! by Outkast: People often don’t realize that the popular phrase “shake it like a polaroid picture” comes from this song, released in 2003. Titled by Billboard as the 20th most successful song of the 2000s (in the US), Hey Ya! is the perfect hip-hop song for dancing. 

• Fireflies by Owl City: Fireflies is an ideal throwback for when your friend group wants more of a relaxed, laid back vibe. This song was released in 2009 and reached top charts in more than 6 countries!

• Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas: Boom Boom Pow was released in 2009 and was nominated for several Grammy’s soon after. In fact, it won a Grammy for best music video and has over 340 million views on Youtube to date. 

• Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood: Last but certainly not least, Before He Cheats is the perfect song to put on full blast with friends. This song is the ideal combination of country and pop. It won a Grammy for Best Country Song of 2007. 

Photo by https://burst.shopify.com/@matthew_henry?utm_campaign=photo_credit&utm_content=Free+Vintage+Stereo+Nobs+Photo+%E2%80%94+High+Res+Pictures&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=credit”>Matthew Henry from https://burst.shopify.com/music?utm_campaign=photo_credit&utm_conten…”>Burst

Ally is a Sophomore at the University of Connecticut.