diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things Freshmen Should Do During Their First Semester at UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Calling all new Huskies to the UConn campus. Freshmen year can be an overwhelming yet exciting time. Through this adjustment period, here are 7 things you MUST do during your first semester here. 

Go to a tailgate: Most students would agree there is nothing like a tailgate experience. You will be in for a wild time, surrounded by lots of dancing, school spirit and tons of people. The best part is picking an outfit decked out in your favorite UConn gear. 

Involvement Fair: Though you have probably heard it many times, the best way to adjust to a new campus, especially one with about 18,000 students, is to get involved. The involvement fair has hundreds of clubs/organizations to become a part of and even if you join just a few, it is a great way to meet new people. 

Horsebarn Hill: The best view on campus is at Horsebarn Hill, one of the first things you drive past when entering campus. Oftentimes people go to take pictures and talk. They also offer sunset yoga if you want to unplug from the back to school stress. 

Best places to eat: Storrs has some of the best places to eat which you must make it to at some point though your first semester. Many would agree that the best spots are Wings Over for chicken wings, DP Dough for calzones, Blaze for build your own pizza, Toast for morning brunch, and the famous Dairy Bar for UConn’s signature ice cream. 

The New Rec Center: UConn’s newest addition to campus is the new recreation center. This development is a must-see for all students, not just freshmen. The facility is huge including multiple courts, equipment, a pool, rock climbing area and much more. They also offer classes such as yoga, strength training, HIIT, and more. 

Attend a basketball game: UConn is known for their men’s and women’s basketball teams, and the student section gets so hyped. It is the best way to feel the contagious spirit of our school and tickets are offered for free starting this year! 

Academic Resources: When it comes to academics and adjusting to college, freshmen should definitely make use of the resources our school has, such as the Q center for math tutoring, W center for writing help, and weekly office hours from professors. Don’t be afraid to get help when needed, even if you are in lecture halls with hundreds of students. 

Caroline is a Senior at UConn majoring in Communications with a minor in Human Development & Family Studies. She is interested in working with social media management, Marketing and Public Relations. In her free time you could find her binge-watching her favorite shows, spending time with friends, and making Spotify playlists.