Style > Beauty

7 Frat-Proof Makeup Products You Have to Try

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The sober driver is on his way, so you check yourself one more time in the mirror before you scramble to leave. Your makeup is flawless — your highlight is perfectly placed, you’ve mastered your eyeliner so it’s a perfect wing, and your blush is applied just above your cheekbone for the illusion of a beautifully-sculpted complexion.

After 30 minutes in the sweaty frat basement, you head upstairs to check your makeup again. Your eyeliner is smudged, your foundation has dripped almost completely off… you look like you just came inside after running through a rainstorm.

No need to fear — I have tested plenty of makeup products and have discovered the best affordable drugstore products that will keep your favorite looks looking nearly as perfect as they did before you left for the night.

1. Maybelline 30H SUperstay Activewear foundation

Out of all of the drug-store foundations I have tried, the Maybelline 30h Superstay Activewear Foundation is an absolute must when going for a full-coverage look to a frat. This foundation is transfer-resistant, water-resistant, and sweat-resistant, so your complexion will remain flawless after spending time in a steamy basement. It’s oil-free, creates a seamless matte finish, and feels so light on my face it feels like I’m not wearing foundation. This foundation is great for everyday use, and can supposedly last up to 30 hours (though I can’t say I’ve left my makeup on for that long). You can pick this up at any drugstore.

2. Maybelline SUperstay Activewear concealer

For those of us who don’t feel like wearing too much foundation, the Maybelline Superstay Activewear Concealer is an affordable, lightweight concealer that will keep your face from feeling cakey but will help lift your complexion and cover any troublesome spots. This concealer is sweat-proof, so this will last you all night in a frat basement. This concealer can be found in any drugstore and is completely affordable and comparable to high-end brands.

3. L’oreal Paris Infallible 24h fresh wear bronzer

The L’Oreal Infallible 24h Fresh Wear Bronzer is the perfect bronzer to use when headed to a frat. L’Oreal’s new waterproof bronzer formula is just what we frat-goers need when recreating a sun-kissed look for the night. This bronzer is soft and easy to apply with a brush or sponge and isn’t drying or cakey on the skin. Through the night, this bronzer kept up with my waterproof foundation and stayed in place through the night. This bronzer can be found at any drugstore.

4. Essence cOsmetics “The Blush”

Although this blush isn’t advertised as water-proof, I have found that the Essence Cosmetics “The Blush” is my favorite blush to use for a look I need to last all night. This blush has a beautiful consistency that easily blends into the skin, but also is extremely pigmented for its inexpensive price. This blush holds up well at the frats. It comes in seven shades, and can be found at any Ulta Beauty.

5. Maybelline SKy high Mascara

The Maybelline Sky High mascara is the best mascara that I’ve ever used, and I have tried plenty of drugstore and high-end brands. This mascara comes in waterproof form so it can last in the water, but I’ve found that even the regular Sky High does not smudge off no matter how gross it gets in a frat basement. This mascara is perfect for a night out, as it lengthens your lashes and adds so much volume. This mascara always lasts the longest compared to any other brand I’ve tried, and looks the best too! You can purchase this mascara at any drugstore.

6. Maybelline superstay matte ink liquid lipstick

Now, yes, you’re going to be sweating in a frat basement, but you’re also likely going to be drinking out of solo cups. Maybelline’s Superstay Matte Ink liquid lipstick is the perfect lipstick for a frat party. This lipstick will not budge all night, so by the time you leave your lipstick will still look great. These lipsticks are extremely pigmented, so you might want to swatch them in person because the colors on the bottles look a little different than how they do in real life. You can buy this lipstick at any drugstore.

7. Milani make it last setting spray

The Milani Make it Last setting spray is the perfect dupe for the Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray. The All Nighter is my favorite high-end brand, but the Milani Make it Last is the perfect dupe. This spray will keep your looks lasting all night, especially when sprayed over waterproof makeup. This setting spray comes in different versions, but I prefer the matte version for nights at frats. You can purchase this at any drugstore.

Happy shopping!

Tabitha is a sophomore at Uconn majoring in Journalism, hoping to minor in American Sign Language. She is planning on becoming a journalist, concentrating in magazine writing for the fashion and beauty industry. Tabitha loves to write, go to the gym, and spend time with friends in her free time.