This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Let’s admit it, the Fall and Winter seasons bring out the best in fashion. There are infinite outfit options and so many accessories you can use to elevate your outfits. Sure, you might get a little cold sometimes, but that’s a sacrifice we have to make in the name of fashion. Here’s a list of seven trendy essentials you’ll want to have in your wardrobe: 

The Mini Bags

women\'s fall fashion
Original photo by Laura Contreras
Mini bags have been making a fierce comeback for a while now. If you can find a vintage handbag or one that resembles the shoulder bags of the y2k fashion era, then you’ve really scored. These bags have become a staple for the fall and winter seasons because they’re an easy way to upgrade any outfit. And considering you can’t find a decently sized pocket in any women’s pants, I’d say they’re pretty handy too, and there’s nothing better than when fashion meets function. 

The Sweater Vest

women\'s fall fashion clothing pieces
Original photo by Laura Contreras
I sincerely doubt this essential is going to come as a surprise to anyone- the sweater vest. I’m sure you’ve seen this fall favorite on Instagram, YouTube, all over TikTok, and with good reason. Sweater vests come in so many different cuts, patterns, and styles that it’s almost impossible to not find one that fits your particular style. Pair an argyle patterned vest with a pair of oversized blue jeans and you’ve got yourself the indie girl look. Or, pair a plain cable knit vest with a skirt and you’re passing the preppy look. The possibilities are endless. 

The Pleated Plaid Skirt 

women\'s fall fashion clothing pieces
Original photo by Laura Contreras
Mini skirts are the trend that just keeps coming back, but this fall and winter it’s all about the pleats and the plaid. Just like in the case of the great Cher Horowitz from the iconic 90s film Clueless, the more pleats and the more plaid, the better. However, I would say this is one essential you have to be cautious with when styling because it can look like a Halloween costume sometimes. 

The Varsity Crewnecks

women\'s fall fashion clothing UCONN
Original photo by Laura Contreras

In general, crewnecks should be part of your fall and winter fashion staples. They are super versatile, easy to style, and never fail to keep you warm. This year, it seems crewnecks are an ode to the late Princess Diana because it’s been all about that varsity label. This is probably one of my favorite trends this year because one trip to a thrift store and you are set for both seasons. Not to mention that thrifting your clothes rather than always buying new is one of the most sustainable ways to shop!

The Doc Martens 

women\'s fall clothing pieces
Original photo by Laura Contreras
Doc Marten boots made a huge comeback just in time for fall a few years ago, and they’re certainly not going anywhere. This year, however, it’s all about Dr. Martens 1461 oxfords. I seriously see these oxfords on my feed every day and honestly, they are the perfect all-weather shoe. Unlike Doc Marten boots, they do not require a “break-in” period and they go with so many different styles. You can also easily dress them up or down. 

The Cropped Cardigan

women\'s fall fashion clothing pieces
Original photo by Laura Contreras
I’m sure many of you already have this fall/winter essential in your closet, but I had to include it on this list. Cropped cardigans come in a ton of different variations, so you can choose whatever fits your personal style the best. I recommend starting off with purchasing a cropped cardigan that is more neutral because you’ll always have ways of styling a neutral piece. Cardigans are also great for layering, so you won’t have to worry about getting hot in the unpredictable fall weather or cold in the frigid winter weather. 

The Print

women\'s fall fashion clothing pieces
Original photo by Laura Contreras
Print has never really been out of style, but it seems like popular print from the 70s, 80s, and 90s have all made an impact on this year’s fall and winter fashion trends. Animal print has especially managed to go from tacky to trendy. For months, I have been seeing cow print, cheetah print, and snake print on everything and anything. Adding print to an outfit is definitely a great way to spice things up. Accessories are typically your safest bet when it comes to this essential because it’s a subtle way of incorporating the trend into your wardrobe.

This year is different when it comes to fashion and fashion trends, as many of us stayed home for the semester or are continuing to follow social distancing recommendations. It isn’t so much about who will see your outfit, but more about how the clothes make you feel. It’s a difficult time for college students, but I personally feel better when I take the time to put on an outfit I really like. Try your hand at styling some of these popular fall and winter fashion essentials in whatever way that will make you feel comfortable and confident. 

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!