6 Things You Should Thank Your Grandparents For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

September 13th is National Grandparents Day. If you’ve been lucky enough to spend time with your grandparents, you know there are more than a few things to thank them for. 

Being your number one fan

Whether it was your dance recital in second grade or your high school graduation, they are always there to cheer you on. 

Reminding you to be thankful

They’ve been around for a lot longer than you, and have had their fair share of struggles, whether it was living through the Great Depression or emigrating to the US.  Forget the joke about “walking five miles to school uphill both ways” and listen to their story.

Feeding your belly…

Nothing beats Grandma’s cookies. Or her pot roast.  Or just about anything.  Even if your grandparents aren’t the best cooks, they make everything with love.  And they probably let you have that extra piece of cake when your parents didn’t. 

…and your mind

Sure, you taught them how to send email, but they have a lot of things to teach you too.  Getting older means getting wiser.  And your grandparents are definitely old.  They’ve lived through things you’ve only learned about in history class.  Don’t wait until your professor assigns you an oral history project to ask them about their experiences- because a first hand account is much more interesting than a history book.

Treasuring their time with you

No one appreciates surprise visits more than grandparents.  They are always happy to make time for you, and treasure the time they spend with you and really listen to what you have to say.

Never stopping loving you

Even though you make mistakes, your grandparents will still love you, even if they have to give you some tough advice.  Take a minute to appreciate them today!

All images hyperlinked to original source

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.