5th Annual Lunar New Year Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Last Friday, February 12th, was UConn VSA and UConn CUSA’s fifth Lunar New Year Celebration. The two organizations have come together again to celebrate the Lunar New Year by bringing the festivities and performers to UConn for all to celebrate at their home away from home. 

This celebration included performances from Lion Dancers (as pictured), a fashion show featuring traditional Chinese and Vietnamese clothes, singers, and many more! Lion dance is traditional dance in many Asian cultures, where two dancers act as the head and the tail of a lion, and dance to chase away evil spirits and ghosts. As seen in the picture, people give money to these lion heads as a symbol of good luck for the upcoming year.

Happy Lunar New Year! 

Gloria is the Marketing Co-Director for Her Campus UConn. She is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is a sucker for corny jokes, probably knows a little too much about celebrities, and is a big foodie.