This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As winter approaches, it can become harder to find the motivation to leave the warmth of your bed… here are 5 ways to help you get your day started. 

Get a Good Night’s Sleep

First thing’s first, if you’re not getting enough sleep per night, it’s going to be hard for you to get out of bed in the morning. As a college student, I know it’s definitely easier said than done to get to bed early. But coming from experience, I’ve found that when I go to bed at a reasonable hour instead of staying up until all hours of the night cramming for tests, I wake up more easily and more productive the next day.

Let in the Light

Sunlight and artificial lights both work the same by telling your biological clock that it’s time to wake up. So, while it can be tempting to stay curled up in bed, cozy with the lights off, by turning on your lights or opening your blinds to let some sunlight in, you’ll be more likely to get up and stay awake, starting your morning on the brighter side of things!

Exercise

We’ve all heard about the benefits that come from exercise, but imagine starting off your day by reaping those benefits? Whether your favorite way to exercise is heading to the gym for an intensive workout, or going for a scenic morning run, either way you’re sure to start your day off with a release of endorphins that will help you start your day on the right foot. Additionally, by making this a daily habit, it will become a routine that you look forward to every morning!

Eat a Good Breakfast

It can be easy to settle for a few cups of coffee as your first meal of the day, especially as a college student. But as much as many of us like to believe that it is, coffee, unfortunately, is not a meal replacement. As we’ve been told since we were young, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What you eat in the morning is what sets you on track for your day, so make an effort to get to the dining hall before your first class. You’ll find that starting your day with a balanced meal, full of fruits, vegetables, fiber, healthy fats, and protein, will boost your energy levels not only in the morning, but throughout the day too. 

Be Productive

A good way to get your day going is by doing something productive to start your day. From waking up and writing in a daily gratitude journal, to making an agenda of what you’d like to accomplish throughout the day, or even just simply making your bed when you get up, doing something that gets you motivated is a great way to make your mornings both more enjoyable and meaningful.

By implementing one, a few, or all of these tips into your routine, you’ll be set on the track to becoming a morning person in no time! 

Photo by https://burst.shopify.com/@matthew_henry?utm_campaign=photo_credit&utm_content=Free+Stock+Photo+of+Pug+Gets+Cozy+In+The+Morning+%E2%80%94+HD+Images&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=credit”>Matthew Henry from https://burst.shopify.com/room?utm_campaign=photo_credit&utm_content…”>Burst