5 Tips For Embracing Spring When It Still Feels Like Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

March 20th marked the start of spring. However, as someone from California who now lives in the Northeast, where the high this week was fifty-five degrees, it feels like anything but spring. While I can’t pull out my cute dresses or sit outside and read a book in the grass yet, here are five things I’m doing instead to celebrate the new season:

1. Spring playlist

I’m someone who has a playlist for just about every mood or occasion, seasons included. For me, spring is when I transition out of my sad girl playlists and transition into more upbeat music. Lately, with the start of the Eras Tour especially, this has been a lot of Taylor Swift, Lover specifically. Other artists such as Nina Nesbitt, Sabrina Carpenter, and Kelsea Ballerini have also been in the rotation. Here is also another great article with some more spring song recommendations!

2. Fashion

Just because the sky is grey doesn’t mean your outfits have to be! I’m by no means someone who follows fashion rules about when you can wear certain colors, but have been finding myself gravitating toward the brighter colors in my closet recently. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still all long sleeves, but my pink sweatshirt and butterfly pullover have become a staple for me these past few weeks. For my hair, I’ve also been using butterfly clips and little ponytails which feel more reminiscent of summer.

3. flowers

There’s something to be said about being around flowers, even if they aren’t from your garden. Now can be a great time to treat yourself to a bouquet of flowers. Even just putting them in a vase in your room can bring springtime to you!

4. Fruit

Similar to flowers, fruit just reminds me of warm times and summer! Now can be a great time to start incorporating some more fruit into your meals — I find berries and watermelon have the most warm-weather nostalgia for me. It can also be fun to make fun recipes such as smoothie bowls!

5. Enjoy the sun

There’s nothing quite like the first sunny day after a long winter. When the sun does decide to come out, even if it’s still relatively cold, take advantage of it! Take an hour to hot girl walk in the afternoon or study outside. If it’s still too cold to even think about going outside, you can also find a spot by a window where you can get the sun rays but also be inside.

Warm weather is right around the corner, but can certainly feel like it’s not coming soon enough. In the meantime, fake it a little, listen to the upbeat music, and wear the bright colors while soaking in what sun we do get!

Abby is a junior at the University of Connecticut majoring in American Studies and English with a concentration in anti-racism and social justice. Abby enjoys writing about music, sports, and her personal experiences. On campus, she is the co-captain of the equestrian team and a mentor for undecided students. Abby also works as a campus tour guide for visiting high school students. In her free time, Abby enjoys going for walks at sunset, listening to music - especially Taylor Swift, and watching dating shows with friends.