This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As the spooky season is upon us, it’s time to celebrate with our favorite movies, pumpkin spice lattes and—for me—hair-raising novels. These are a few books that I feel fit into the creepy category, and some are definitely creepier than others. So get cozy, and get excited, because there’s nothing like curling up with a good read full of our favorite fictional monsters!

“The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding” by Alexandra Bracken

A thrilling middle-grade, Prosper has always considered himself to be uninteresting until he discovers he carries a demon inside of him as a result of the family curse. The demon, Alastor, wants nothing more than to destroy Prosper and the rest of his family, but with the help of a witch and his long-lost uncle, Prosper is ready to fight off the other being sharing his body. Snarky and hilarious, this novel incorporates so much of the incredible aspects of the Halloween season while not being super terrifying (even though it takes place in Salem!). Definitely my all-time favorite Halloween novel!

“The Coldest Girl in Coldtown” by Holly Black

After waking up in the bathtub after a hectic house party, Tana Bach realizes that she is the only survivor of the house that was invaded by vampires while she slept, and the only way to save herself and her ex-boyfriend is to head into the heart of Coldtown itself where vampires and humans alike live in terrifying tension. Oh, did I mention the other companion of their little road trip happens to be a vampire himself? I love, love, love everything about this novel from the characters to the intricate world to the fast-paced action. Vampire books like this one put “Twilight” to shame.

“There’s Someone Inside Your House” by Stephanie Perkins

Makani Young expects her future in Nebraska to be quiet and normal until her classmates start dying around her in a series of gruesome murders. I haven’t actually read this one yet, but it’s sitting on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up, and I can’t wait. I’ve read some of Perkins’ works before, so I have high expectations for this.

“This Savage Song” by Victoria Schwab

In a city overrun by monsters, Kate wants to let the monsters run loose, and August happens to be one of them with the power of stealing a soul with a strand of music—but all he wants to do is protect the innocent. After an assassination attempt, the two are forced to head on the run. Schwab has received plenty of praise for her works in the past, and that only continues for this book!

“#Murdertrending” by Gretchen McNeil

In a futuristic universe where its citizens can watch the executions of convicted felons on the Postman app, Dee Guerrera winds up within the prison’s walls for a crime she did not commit. She must work with the Death Row Breakfast Club to prove her innocence—before she’s murdered too. This is another that I haven’t read yet either, but it’s sitting on my shelf and I cannot wait to pick it up!