5 Reasons To Love Bernie Sanders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Bernie Sanders is one of the Democratic candidates for President of the United States. He is currently serving his second term in the U.S. Senate, and previously served as mayor of Vermont’s largest city, Burlington for eight years.

He’s from the Northeast

Sanders was born in Brooklyn, New York and attended James Madison High School, Brooklyn College, and then the University of Chicago. After his education Sanders moved to Vermont. He currently lives in Burlington, Vermont with his wife Jane and has four children and seven grandchildren.

He stands up for women’s rights

Sanders recognizes that gender inequality is a prominent issue in the United States. He also believes that, “We are not going back to the days when women had to risk their lives to end an unwanted pregnancy. The decision about abortion must remain a decision for the woman and her doctor to make, not the government.”

Sanders tweeted, “When it comes to the rights of women, we cannot go backwards. We have got to go forward.”

He dances like Drake

Ellen put together a hilarious video of Sanders dancing to Hotline Bling by Drake which took over the internet.

He is saying today what he said decades ago

Sanders initially entered Congress in 1991 as the Representative of Vermont. When he entered he fought for economic justice, civil rights and civil liberties, environmental protection and global peace and security. Sanders fought for these issues decades ago and still does today.

He will not take money from big corporations

Sanders does not want a Super PAC like Hillary Clinton has. He refuses to take money from big corporations.

Donate to Bernie here: http://betonbernie2016.com/

Think about voting Bernie Sanders in 2016! #FeelTheBern

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.