5 People You Should Share Your Love For This V-Day (Other Than Your SO)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Amid much controversy, it arrives every year without fail: Valentine’s Day. As the store shelves fill up with heart-shaped chocolates, pink stuffed animals, and cards with corny pick up lines on them, you either hear people gushing over their plans for the special day or accusing Hallmark of creating this consumer holiday.

Wherever you stand on the topic, Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to just be about being extra aware of your singleness or posting pictures of the beautiful bouquet of roses your SO gave you. No, Cupid wants everyone to share the love.

So, get out there and give a little extra love to all of the people in your life that mean so much to you. Here’s a list to help you start brainstorming.

1. Your Parents

Sure, they may be overbearing at times but they literally gave you life. They have been there each step of the way, from when you were learning your first word to now, when you’re working hard to earn a college degree. Let them know how grateful you are for their support, mom’s boy advice, and dad’s lame jokes.

2. Your Siblings

Pause the pranks and the name calling for a moment to tell your siblings how much they mean to you. No one else can fully understand and appreciate your family’s kookiness quite like them. Send a sweet text, or better yet call, to let them know they’re on your mind today.

3. Your Friends

Whether you have an SO or not, find time this Valentine’s Day weekend for your partners in crime. Galentine’s Day has swept across the nation and is all about, as Leslie Knope describes it, “ladies celebrating ladies.” So grab some chocolate, your fave rom com, and your besties and celebrate the friends that have seen you at your best and worst… and love you anyway.

4. Your School Staff

Countless people are needed to help our university run smoothly every day, especially after all the snow we’ve been hit with.  Bus drivers, RAs and hall directors, maintenance crews, and dining hall staff work hard for hours each day to make sure we’re safe and well taken care of. Take a moment to say an extra “thank you” this week to show your appreciation.

5. Your Roomies

Whether you live in a dorm, sorority house, or apartment show some love to those who deal with your early mornings, long showers, and clothes thrown around the room. Leave a cute note on the doors of your floor or apartment mates or share some chocolate with your roommate!

Love comes in all shapes and sizes. So, regardless if you’re in a relationship or not, take some time this holiday to focus on the love that’s all around you.

Currently a senior at the University of Connecticut, Grace McMorrow is pursuing a degree in Journalism and Communications.  From a young age she could be found sitting in a comfy corner devouring a book or filling up a journal and her love of words has only grown with age. She's learned to embrace her awkward, quirky nature once she learned being like Mia Thermopolis or Jessica Day isn't all that bad. Grace tends to spend her free time staying up to date on pop culture, obsessing over fictional characters, and daydreaming about her next faraway travel destination.