5 Holiday Cocktails to Try this winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

No holiday event is complete without a signature cocktail (or few!). Here are five easy, inexpensive, and visually appealing cocktails with recipes to try this winter.

1.  Winter Sun Cocktail

The winter season sometimes puts a damper on all of us but this unique cocktail surely will give us that little ray of sunshine we all need. If you’re going out to brunch with the family be sure to give the bar specialist this recipe in advanced (everyone will be floored with the drink). Or if you are looking at new recipes to conquer this winter, try this top-notch drink a try.

Ingredients:

• juice of 2 clementines (1/4 cup)
  • juice of ½ small lemon
  • ½ oz. triple sec
  • 1 ½ oz. vodka
  • sprig of rosemary
  • lemon zest
  • sugar
  1. Rub the rim of your glass with the juice from the clementine.
  2. Combine zest and sugar in a shallow bowl. Coat the rim of glass with the sugar.
  3. Fill your glass with ice, and then add juices, triple sec, and vodka. Stir. Garnish with a rosemary sprig.

***(Makes 1). Double recipe if you have more people to serve.  

Recipe from: two-tarts

2.  The Classy “Ugly Christmas Sweater” Party Sangria

We’ve all heard of the popular ugly Christmas sweater parties, but have you ever attended one that kept it classy while being “ugly”? Next time, try keeping the party uniformed with this signature sangria!

Ingredients:

• 2 bottles of Pinot Grigio
  • ¾ cup of sparkling apple cider
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup cranberries, halved
  • ¾ cup cranberries, whole
  • 1 granny smith apple, chopped
  • 3 rosemary sprigs
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher or large bowl and stir together until the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve chilled or over ice.

***(Requires preparation before being served).

Recipe from: cakenknife

3. New Year’s Eve Winter Champagne

Champagne is an essential for any celebratory occasion, but the fizzy golden beverage reaches peaks on New Year’s Eve when the clock strikes 12. So be sure to cheers with friends with this chic cocktail in hand.

Ingredients:

• Choice of champagne
  • Orange bitters
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • Orange peel
  • Rosemary
  1. Pour champagne into glasses.
  2. Add 1 dash of orange bitters, juice of orange and garnish with orange peel and rosemary.

Recipe from: Style Within Reach

4. Après-Ski Hot Buttered Rum

Sure, beer is a universal après drink, but cocktails can be just as refreshing and a little more fun. Order this at the next ski lodge you stumble into, or try it at home to warm up after a long day of hitting the slopes with your pals.

Ingredients:

• 2oz. dark rum (aka 2 shots)
  • 2 cups of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, soft
  • A pinch of salt
  • ¼ tsp. cardamom
  • ½ tsp. nutmeg
  • ½ cup of hot water
  1. Mix together the butter, spices, and sugar.
  2. In a glass mug or coffee mug add a tablespoon of the creamed mixture. Then pour in the rum and hot water. 

Recipe from: notwithoutsalt

5. Bourbon Spiked Hot Apple Cider

Another seasonal cocktail to warm you and your bae up this winter is a traditional cider… but kicked up a notch! This one serves up to 4 drinks so there will be plenty if there is just two in your party or one.

Ingredients:

• 4 cups of apple cider
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 Tbs. of orange juice
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • 2 oz. bourbon (recommend Bullet)
  1. In a small pot combine the apple cider, cinnamon stick, orange juice, cloves and star anise and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a pitcher.
  2. Pour 2 oz. of bourbon and 1 cup of the cider.

***Optional: Garnish with an orange slice and stick of cinnamon.

Recipe from: Vindulge