The 5 Family Members Everyone has at Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s November which means it’s almost time to eat all of your Thanksgiving favorites.  Time to carve the turkey, pass the green beans, watch football, and bring the whole family together. Families are definitely eclectic and everyone knows how interesting family time can be. Regardless of if everyone gets along or not, a time with all of your family around one table (unless you sit at the infamous kids table…I’m in college now mom!) definitely builds memories.  Here are the types of family members everyone sees at Thanksgiving:

1.  The random distant relative

You’re not exactly sure how you’re related even though you’ve been told the confusing story countless times. They hug you and you awkwardly try to make small talk with the little bit of information you know about them.     

2. The great aunt/uncle who hates this generation

They quip “you kids and your devices” when you bring out your cellphone to show them a picture. They constantly tell you stories that start with “well back in my day…,” they still have a wall mounted phone with a cord, and they still don’t know exactly what Facebook is.

3. Your politically involved grandparent

Their views and opinions are the only ones that are right and you better not challenge them. Regardless of the party they’re affiliated with, they are hardcore about their candidate and will not stop bringing up their values even though you just want to eat your mashed potatoes.

4. The aunt/uncle who pesters you about school

You’re tired of telling everyone what your major is, your GPA, what you’re going to do with the rest of your life, and hearing their various opinions on it. They always think they know what’s best for you, even if you completely disagree with what they are saying. You find yourself saying things like “Uncle Jim, just because I had one solo in the fourth grade concert doesn’t mean I should be a music major,” or, “I am a people-person Aunt Ellie, but that doesn’t mean I should be a doctor, I can’t even handle a papercut.”

5.  Your little cousins

They may annoy you sometimes, but at the end of the day they are the ones helping you get through all of the festivities. They’ll ask you questions, you’ll reminisce on some memories, and have some laughs. 

At the end of the day our families might be a little crazy, but we wouldn’t want it any other way.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Cover Image Source

Alexis Angelini is a fourth-year student studying English and Communication. When not working as a Social Media Content Producer, Alexis is heavily involved on campus. She currently serves as the President of UConn Yoga Sangha, the Marketing Director of Her Campus UConn, as well as a Peer Educator in S.H.A.P.E. Her love and interest for social media is reflected in her experience, as she has worked with brands such as Aerie, Rent the Runway, Hallmark, Neutrogena, The Economist, Uber, etc. Her social media experience has helped start-ups to Forbes-featured businesses to Fortune 500 companies with their social media.